Is my girl a french maran??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantamsrbest100, Aug 19, 2013.

1. bantamsrbest100

bantamsrbest100 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

This is Daisy, she was the only pullet from a hatch of 8, (not my hatch) all the Roos have a lot of brown on them now but she has none? She is only 4 and a bit months old.... wen does the brown on the neck come in? or do some not have any? I am new to the breed so any help i'd b really grateful!! [​IMG] I have posted this in the maran thread but no response....

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    She is not a french marans as those have feathered shanks, she might be an american marans, they have clean shanks. Hens get the "copper" color later, and yes some never get the "copper" color at all

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. bantamsrbest100

bantamsrbest100 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013

Thanks! Will she lay dark choc eggs?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Well, if she is a marans she should. But even if she is a marans, it depends alot on the quality of stock that she comes from. Hatchery stock does not lay as dark as breeder stock does. Even breeder stock differs in color. Look up "Bev Davis Marans" on the web, she has great stock and they lay really dark eggs. Lots of people claim to have her lines, which some do. But in my book if the birds weren't bred by that said breeder, than I wouldn't call them that breeders birds. Most that claim to have a breeders birds, never got the birds from that said breeder, and couldn't even tell you how far down the line of "breeders" the birds are actually from. So if you want good dark eggs, look at the breeders website and ask for current pictures of eggs and birds. I have seen people use other peoples pictures as their own, and lots of people are disappointed when what they get is nowhere near what the pictures show. Keep in mind that the shade of color can change during the egg laying cycle. It comes down to doing a little research can go a long way in getting what you want. I have heard alot of times this saying "it costs the same to feed a poor quality bird as it does to feed a good quality bird" and this saying is true.

Hope this helps you out some, as I am in the process myself of getting good stock to replace the old stock as the old stock slowly dies off. Hope she lays good dark eggs for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by