1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my girl in QT broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by itsy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey folks! I have a lone BR lady (Nelly) in QT. Long story short - she was supposed to be eaten. She's 3 years old. I decided that we were not going to eat her, but she was new to our farm, so I put her in QT. She's in the front yard, away from our other chickens and will remain there until her month time is up to make sure she's not harboring any parasite or illness that I can see. She's a sweet girl. I am going to be setting up a fence for her so that she has more room, but it seems that she doesn't want to leave her makeshift nest. She's not mean or in a "trance." She comes out to eat and drink and goes back in. I can lure her out with a strawberry. She's very vocal. We've had her now a little over a week. I didn't think she'd lay an egg right away, but I found one in there today. I didn't remove it because as soon as she finished eating, she went back in. I know she's been with a rooster - what breed, who knows. The farmer has many types; mainly Polish and Araucana. I'm kind of curious to see what would hatch.

Sooo.... do I leave the egg in there? Even if she isn't broody, will she hatch the egg by default, being that she likes to sit in there so often?

Thanks for your answers. As you can tell - I'm new to this aspect of chicken keeping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    If it was me I would leave it. Even if it takes her laying a few more eggs before she goes broody, the egss should stay fine for a few days in decent temp. how hot is it where your at?

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Highs in mid 80's. PM temps mid-upper 60's. Thunderstorms expected tomorrow through Saturday. I feel like the weather woman!

4. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    Quote:I'd say Nelly is a BR (Plymouth Barred Rock).
    She is LOVELY, and that look in the second photo should be added to the stink eye thread! Too cute!
    She might be broody, worth a try.

5. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    She does look a bit stinky in that second photo!!! I knew she was a BR, silly. [​IMG]

Thanks for your help/opinion. I'll leave her with the egg and see what happens. I hope she doesn't crack it. Hmm. Even if she doesn't "sit" on it persay, but moves it around every so often when she goes in and out of there... it may still hatch, right? It's warm outside....

6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Well so much for that egg!! Some sort of predator wanted in last night and started to tear her cages apart. There were feathers everywhere! The egg was smashed in the process. A small hole was also beside the cage. I'm going to have to make sure the poor girl is safer. I was surprised she wasn't injured after seeing all those feathers everywhere.

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Ah hate to here that, hopefully there will be more eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by