Is my girl laying her first egg today????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hamellott, Nov 9, 2009.

1. hamellott

hamellott Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    Hi, My pullet is over 6 months old now. Today when I let her out into the yard with the others, she started making noises I've never heard her make like she is in pain and small "chirps". She began looking around frantically for small spaces to go into and digging around in the leaves. I didn't want to lose that first egg if that's what is going on, so she is put back in the coop by herself. Does it sound like she is getting ready to lay?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm [​IMG]
    Most times, they start investigating the nesting boxes. But they will find the smallest of places to squeeze in and lay eggs too. Good Luck!

3. hamellott

Jun 10, 2009
    I peeked in the coop and she is in her nesting box very silent now! I'm so excited to get that first egg! YAY!

4. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Mine screamed bloody murder and I thought sure she was laying an egg. But she stopped and an egg came the following day. So maybe yours is getting close! Good luck!

5. hamellott

Jun 10, 2009
    I GOT MY EGG! YIPPEE! IT'S A CUTE SMALLISH BROWN EGG!!! I AM SO PROUD. [​IMG]YourLinkGoesHere [​IMG]

6. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    congrats to you and your girl!!

7. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Congrats on your new egg! Mine are 7-8 months old. I have ten next boxes for about 20 pullets and hens. I can't tell you how many times I've gone down to check for eggs and found a pullet in each nest. Gone back down a while later - pullets are gone - and no eggs. I think they are either:

1) testing my patience
    2) practising for the big day that has yet to come
    3) all of the above!

I know they aren't eating the eggs, because the nests are still dry and there is no evidence of any broken eggs. I have thought about threatening them with the stew pot, but somehow, I don't think it would do any good. Sometimes I swear I can hear them giggling behind my back!

8. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    [​IMG] Congrats!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by