1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my girl molting to death?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by P-Funk, Jan 5, 2013.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    [​IMG]

My Barred Plymouth Rock, age 2, is the oldest of the flock of 6. She first started molting last year when it was just on the top of her butt in front of her tail. We sprayed her with 'poultry protector' and 'blu kote' regularly and it got better. Now it's on her entire behind and neck. We named her Blimpy because she was so fat when we adopted her but she is now one of the smallest in the coop. The last time I took a bird to the vet she was dead in 2 hours. Needless to say I'm not taking another one. Thanking you for your help in advance, Preston
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Treat her for mites and lice. Up her protein levels as well.

3. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thank you Nova [​IMG] I soaked her with a lice and mite spray but how do you recommend getting her the extra protien? The girls all have a very healthy diet as it is. Better than me in fact. P.S. She's still at the top of the pecking order and nobody messes with her.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she's that thin, I'd probably tube feed. Have you wormed her?

5. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    She has not been wormed Cas, but something has been bothering me. If she HAD worms, or lice, or mites, wouldn't all the girls in the coop have it???

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    They may all have worms/lice/mites but do not always show the same symptoms - if she is moulting she is more susceptible to be debilitated, as will young chicks.

You can give her some scrambled egg or tuna fish to help her.

Suzie

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Whenever mine get sick, I dust for mites/lice, even if I can't see them and I worm with fenbendazole (Safeguard for Goats/Cattle).

8. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    P,
    Her sister looked just like that. Poultry protector is not effective on all mites. Northern Fowl mites do not live on the bird, although you may find a couple of them on the bird during daylight. They will live around where the birds roost. They mostly come out at night, fill up on blood, and retire back to the wood or such to lay their eggs. I will also find them concentrated in the nest boxes. It is not as critical to treat the bird as it is to treat the living areas of the mites. Kleen Green from Natural Genesis works better than Poultry Protector for killing mites. I'll call you when I can.....joe

9. Holleran Farms

Holleran Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    I would dust her with a poultry dust containing permectrin. If it's not that do you have a rooster that treats her as his favorite. Some hens are favored by roosters and all the breeding and riding by them will get back of their neck feathers and saddle feathers pulled out from contant riding.

10. P-Funk

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Thanks, all [​IMG] I'll put the birds out to free range today while cleaning the pen. Every 6 months I normally pressure wash their entire stall, put some bleach in it, then wash it with water again. I'll look for some Kleen Green at Big R as well. It's supposed to be nice and warm (above freezing) today.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by