Is my girl too skinny?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by albodean, Oct 16, 2016.

1. albodean

albodean Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi All,

I have had my 3 Light Sussex pullets for 3 weeks now. They all seem healthy and active but I am worried that one of them, Bitsy, may be too skinny.

I have watched them all feed lots of times and they all share nicely, she doesn't seem like she is having less food than the other 2.

She is around 19 weeks old and has always been the skinniest since I have had them. Is this normal or should I do something about it?

Bitsy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All three:
    [​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    She looks ok in picture but the true test would be for you to pick her up and feel her breastbone. If there is no meat on it than she is too thin.

3. albodean

albodean Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2016
    Thanks. She hates being handled so will be a challenge to feel her breastbone but I'll give it a go!

All being well and she has meat on her breastbone, will she fill out naturally as she gets older or is that just her build? All three are pure breed utility Light Sussex.

None of them are being eaten, just kept as pets & for eggs so as long as she's healthy I'm not worried about her being skinny.

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    They will fill out more as they are but not all birds are perfect models of their breed. Just like a human can be heavy or skinny so can a bird. It could be she is just a narrower body build while the other two have the other build like most Sussex.

5. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    Beautiful girls by the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by