Is my GL Sebright hen worth it?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I have a GL sebright hen and i want to get a good rooster to go with her but i dont want to buy one if the babys will only be pet quality.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those are the best pics i have of her right now... they were taken march april of this year

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Her lacing looks nice. However, from what I read in the Standard, her back should be shorter and her tail should be upright and spread "at all times". If you can find a nice quality rooster to breed her with, maybe you could get some nice chicks and breed toward the standard.

3. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    It would be cheaper to start over.

Pet quality to show quality equals a lot of culls.

Price of feed is too high these days to start that far down.

4. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Quote:Do you think that's true of the Seramas also?? I hear so many people that say they got their champion birds from less than champion stock. Just curious....I think the little extra cockerel I ended up with is going to be pretty nice(at least from what I can tell, and know) . I suppose I need to set up a table and work on his posing so I can post a pic to critique. I have 2 pullets, one has better type, but is a C at least, and the other las a longer back than what I'd like, but are what I have for the moment. I hope to get some really nice birds from Grady in the near future.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Her lacing is uneven, her comb is too red, she's long in the back & she looks big. She's several generations away from a showable bird.

6. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:Do you think that's true of the Seramas also?? I hear so many people that say they got their champion birds from less than champion stock. Just curious....I think the little extra cockerel I ended up with is going to be pretty nice(at least from what I can tell, and know) . I suppose I need to set up a table and work on his posing so I can post a pic to critique. I have 2 pullets, one has better type, but is a C at least, and the other las a longer back than what I'd like, but are what I have for the moment. I hope to get some really nice birds from Grady in the near future.

Ask them what their "Champion" Serama scored at a SCNA show.

In table top judging they are issued a score card for every entry.

If they scored below a 80 they have a pretty common Serama. mho

7. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011

Ask them what their "Champion" Serama scored at a SCNA show.

In table top judging they are issued a score card for every entry.

If they scored below a 80 they have a pretty common Serama. mho

Thanks. Good to know. I raise horses, and always try to breed the best to the best and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by