Is my goat about to give birth?! HELP!

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey I’ve got a goat that’s not due for 5-7 weeks. She’s breathing a bit hard and pawing the ground. I’m a newbie goat owner help what do I look for.

Generally you will see the muscles relax around the tail head, and it will look sunken. They usually bag up, and may drip milk. Than they will lose their mucous plug. There will be a stringy discharge. They might start to vocalize more. Low bleats while looking at their stomachs, than as labor progresses loud yells with contractions. Every goat is different. Most will kid at night without problems.

Ruby is pawing and breathing hard and pacing slightly and then laying down and then getting up. She isn’t bagged up but her ligaments maybe feel squishier? But I don’t know what exactly to feel for on the regular. She isn’t eating just laying now. Maybe she’s just really uncomfortable? I’m guessing. She has triplets in there since she threw triplets last year with her previous owners.

Attachments

• 1F56AADD-1D3D-41BC-ABCA-9FE6018BB6B4.jpeg
    1F56AADD-1D3D-41BC-ABCA-9FE6018BB6B4.jpeg
    787.8 KB · Views: 3
Generally you will see the muscles relax around the tail head, and it will look sunken. They usually bag up, and may drip milk. Than they will lose their mucous plug. There will be a stringy discharge. They might start to vocalize more. Low bleats while looking at their stomachs, than as labor progresses loud yells with contractions. Every goat is different. Most will kid at night without problems.
Because of the profile picture, i read this as “Duck about to give birth” then when you said they drip milk, i was completely lost. :lau

I had goats for 40 years and I never did figure out the ligaments. A doe in labor is restless. She will paw the ground and get up and lie down. Look for a string of mucous. The mucous will get more copious as labor progresses. By the way, I have had goats that had no udder development at all when they went into labor and then drop an udder in a matter of hours. My does would usually kid around sunrise or sunset but not at night.

Back
Top Bottom