Is my goat Betulia pregnant or not? SEE TWO PICTURES

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Happy Camper, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    This is my nubian. If she's preggo she is due April 15 ish... She normally has a big rumen but I see an udder developing (can you see it?, is that her udder developing?). In my opinion is sagging lower and her sides look bigger (just a bit)... of course not as big to say for sure she's pregnant.

I have no idea if the tip is pointing down or up (I am refering to the pooch test). I do notice her privates a bit enlarged, but I feel a change I can really notice is the udder... What do you think?

The buck is getting fatter and I just thought maybe she is just getting fatter too and not pregnant. Do fat goats develop a saggier udder area?

Well, any comments will be welcomed. She's my first goat and would be her first pregnancy. The buck is just a service goat that has stayed too long :/

REAR VIEW
    [​IMG]

SIDE VIEW
    [​IMG]

Remember I said she's always had a large rumen, however this is the first time I have been able to see her lower abdomen (meaning the lighter area- beige area) from standing beside her without having to bend or lower my head. So, any thoughts? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    I can't see the pictures! :(

3. Happy Camper

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks for letting me know... you should be able to see them now :)

4. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Can anyone else help? (bump)

5. Happy Camper

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    I know BYC is maybe not the best spot to ask about goats, however backyardherds.com does not let me post pics, so I would not be able to get help there [​IMG].

Thanks Chicken Person for the bump...

6. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    fat rumen would be bulging out on one side, the preggers bulge would be on the opposite; sorry jsut cant remember which side is which... but if she is getting an udder, then yes, could be shes starting to bag up a bit...

if she's due in april u should be feeling some movement, kicking, a little nose or hoof sliding along her belly, if u push in a bit here and there; there is also the barrel method, althoug ive never been good at that: stand behind her, wrap yoru arms around her, whisper sweet words in her long nubian ears and then lift up and let the belly drop back in your arms. if there is a baby, u should feel a sort of thud (liek an object falling inside a barrel)... the idea is not to do it with strenght to dislodge something but rather like shaking a box to see if its full or empy.

besides if its her first, it could also be a false pregnancy.. we've had those before, bitches and nanny goats are good at that.

also, when di u breed her? if she was supposed to cycle after her breeding that u saw, and she didnt, than most likely she is preggers.

i always say to act as if thye are pregnant as far as perperation , feeding etc goes. worse comes to worse, its false, or she's jsut fat, then u know for sure. and if she delivers a cute little kid, then u will know for sure. thast the fun of it.

i love her goat butt...

1 person likes this.
  7. Happy Camper

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    This is great advice. The thing is that she bred at her boyfriend's house [​IMG] last December. Once they bred the owner brought her back and I started counting the days. She's the only goat I have got so I still can't tell when she's in heat (cause is hard to tell w/ no previous experience and no buck around)...

Then a month and a half later the owner of the buck brought him (he's got more experience than me and lots of goats). He looked at her and said she did not look preggers and I agreed to take the service buck and check if she would take him or not. I really thought she was not succesfully bred the first time.

Well, (bear w/ me here)... here comes my confusion... three weeks into him being here; the buck wakes us all @ 3:00am chasing her like crazy and trying to mount her... She would not let him but I thought she was in heat (cause he was chasing her and he hadn't before (at least not too much)... Well, I paid close attention throughout the day and never saw her let him finish his business. She was also very upset w/ him chasing her... The next day they were acting normal... meaning him on one side of the farm and her as far as him as possible...

Well the week after that event is when I started seeing her udder develop a little up to this point...

That's why I am not sure if that was a heat (and if it was not, why was he so crazy for her)... and if she really did bred the first time... I can see her changing everyday so you are right... either she's preggers or just faking it, in which case I WILL GO[​IMG]...

8. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    if she is getting her bag then yes i would say shes pregnant. her middle looks like its dropping, post back in a few weeks of rear and side views and we can tell a bit better.

Pardon if Im wrong, but i think i see double teats. Nubians should only have two. In fact, any breed of goat should only have two, except the boer, which can have doubles.

good luck and i hope shes pregnant! Ours are due here any day now [​IMG] c'mon girls! drop those kids already

1 person likes this.
  9. Happy Camper

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    You are very right - tadpole98-... she's got double teats, hmmm, actually I think triple teats... She's a rescue so when I got her I kind of did not mind. I have read that could be troublesome, but some other people I know say it does not matter. If she's a milker, she'll milk find w/ doubles.

I am no breed expert and people where I got her from had no idea about her breed. I just think she looks nubian and is very vocal so acts ver nubianish [​IMG]...

Anyways, might as well be a very mixed breed... I have no way to know.

I'd love to see your baby goats when they arrive (please post pics)... I will be photo shooting Betulia soon so you can examine her and give me your guesses. THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!![​IMG]

10. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

she looks like a nubian. here is ours, here kids though are much darker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by