Is my goat pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EricaLee, Sep 11, 2012.

1. EricaLee

EricaLee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    How can I tell... I bought 2 female goats Baby is going to be 3 in December and Minnie (Baby's baby) is 6 months old... Baby's milk supply is not good cause i started to late so I contacted the previous owner to see if it was ok that I mated her... Well she keeps asking me... are you sure she is not getting bigger? There is a change they are BOTH pregnant she told me when I bought the Baby *might* be that a billy goat got to her 5 months ago... After I bought them and have been talking with her come to find outt here is a chance they both are....

How can I tell? Can anyone here tell with pictures?

TIA!

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The only way to be 100% sure of pregnancy status is to get a blood test done. You or a vet can draw a sample and for about $4-5 send it off to BioTracking for a goat pregnancy test. Drawing blood from a goat isn't too difficult, though a first time might be a bit unnerving.

3. EricaLee

Sep 11, 2012
    *sigh* Nothing is ever easy, LOL... I was hoping for any other way [​IMG]

4. WallabyOfChaos

WallabyOfChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    It can be very difficult to get goats to breed back out on pasture while they still have a kid at their side. If she were exposed 5 months ago, and her kid is only 6 months old now, that would mean she had to breed back just a month after kidding. I guess some people are lucky in the goat business and can get them to breed at the drop of a hat, but that never worked for us. We used to run a herd of 300 Spanish nanny goats before we got in to sheep, and we had to sort and hold the kid goats off of their mothers for a few days to get the nannies cycling again so they would breed back. If you can find out from the breeder exactly when she was exposed and for how long you can at least figure out a time frame for when she should kid if she were bred, and just keep an eye on her until you know for sure one way or the other.

5. EricaLee

Sep 11, 2012
    Problem is she isn't a breeder... She is a "pet owner" and her goats kept on and kept on breeding (Baby has kid 3 and is not yet 3) and eventually I guess she decided enough was enough? Got rid of all but 2 males and banded the remaining 2... The more I ask her questions the more info I get.. There is a chance both could be pregnant... so if this is true, then there had to have been more then just the 1 exposure in March(when she initally said was the ONE exposure to Baby only) cause in March Minnie would have only been 1 moth old and not old enough to breed yet.... so I am thinking there were later exposures... I just wish I knew so that I could proceed with my plans to mate.

6. Extra Java

Extra Java Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Southern CA
    My Coop
    If she IS pregnant, I doubt she'll be willing to breed

A pregnant doe will have a swollen pink vulva that kind of pooches in on itself.
    Some breeders keep ultrasound equipment. Contact a breeder near you to see if they can help you.
    Maybe even someone offering buck services.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by