Is My Goose Blind?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindseyM12, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a 2 day old gosling that I got from Ideal Poultry and it ALWAYS keeps its eye closed. I have only seen its eye open a couple times. The other one is fine.
    This one eye has a white spot on it. Do you think its blind? Thanks!

2. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Oh and I forgot to ask if it is blind, is it genetic? Thanks!

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    A picture of the eye would help. Is the white spot something in the eye or actually attached to the eye? Is the white a milky coloration or does it appear to be a raised white deformity (like a scab or a buildup of something on the eye)? Does it seem to have problems with moving around (bumping into things or walking VERY cautiously)? If it's only got a problem with 1 eye, you may not notice any problem with coordination.

While it is PROBABLY not genetic, I wouldn't use it for breeding just in case.

It's possible the gosling scratched its eye in the egg and the white you're seeing is a 'scab' or other growth in reaction to that. It's also possible that it got something in its eye after birth and was unable to get it out and the irritation caused a build up. Alternately, if the white is milky white, it's possibly a genetic issue and most likely means the goose is blind in that eye.

4. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    I will have to take a pic later. It seems to get around fine. It doesnt run into any thing. I will have to look at the eye again when I get home to anser the other questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by