Is my goose fixing to lay an egg?

Dec 30, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Hey everyone. I have a suspicion that my 8 month old Brecon Buff goose is getting in the motion of laying an egg(s). The last few days her and my gander(4 y/o Embden) have been frequenting the backside of my cabin, particularly the outdoor covered space where we store things. It is a secluded space tucked away from commotion, humans and the rest of the animals and there's a nice pile of leaves that have gathered in the corner that she often inspects. Along with that, today I just happen to notice that her undercarriage/pouch area seem fuller than normal compared to the usual flappy pouch.

Below I have attached a photo I took of her when I received her at 4 months old and the other is a photo I took just now at 8 months. I tried to get good photos but you can maybe see what I am talking about with her pouch area. I don't think geese lay just yet? I wouldn't know, I don't have a ton of goose experience. My next thought is her growing and getting bigger in size.

Thanks for any insight anybody has to share!

Attachments

• 20201101_091551_HDR.jpg
    20201101_091551_HDR.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210217_155926.jpg
    20210217_155926.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210217_155944.jpg
    20210217_155944.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 17
Here Are a couple other photos I just found taken a few days ago. Her pouch then wasn't as full in appearance.
Females do get sort of “gooey” tummies during breeding season, and here in the northern hemisphere it’s breeding season, she could be a little more fluffed than usual if it’s cold out too. Some of my girls are about the same age and they’ve just started laying so it’s not unusual.

If her back end continues getting larger and rounder and you notice that she struggles to keep up with gander and tires easily then it would be ascites, but right now I wouldn’t say there’s cause for alarm, she looks like a normal female goose.

Update:

My goose is DEFINITELY making a nest to lay! I peeped out the window and saw her making her nest with sticks and leaves! And the gander is standing tall and alert. This is so exciting. Although I am so torn on whether or not to let the eggs hatch or not cause do not have a desire or the space for more geese. I will have to decide soon. Maybe I will let them hatch and sell the goslings.

Attachments

• 20210218_140722.jpg
    20210218_140722.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 17
My goose goes "house shopping" every year before she starts laying. She always ends up building her nest in the goose house, but she'll inspect other locations closely and even start building a little in some of them.

Make sure she builds her nest in a place that is secure from predators and one that she can access 24/7. Geese lay eggs about every second day, but not necessarily the same time of day every time. Mine prefers evening, night, or morning, but she'll occasionally lay at noontime or in the afternoon. And she cannot just hold it in! :lol:

My goose laid one egg yesterday evening on her nest. After laying she completely moved her nest and sort of moved her egg with it. I thought it was so odd! Goose behavior during laying is so different than a chickens. I don't quite understand the whole process. I've decided I will harvest the eggs, I am not set up space wise for more geese. Sure would be fun to watch my pair raise a gaggle though :jumpy

That's so darling that your goose goes "house shopping" that gave me a good laugh!

Back
Top Bottom