Is my goose not getting better.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GooseyMcGee, Apr 5, 2012.

1. GooseyMcGee

GooseyMcGee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    she got caught in some fishing line. Nasty wounds under wind, she's limping. Today, I'm not sure how she's doing. She's still not moving much and her bill is light and discolored. However, she did lay an egg last night. Will she be okay?

2. igotgoosed

igotgoosed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    North Texas
    Birds have a crappy immune system. Over the summer a neighbor's dog got a hold of Lucinda, my goose, and tore open a few places on her before I got her away from it. I took her to the vet who cleaned out the wound thoroughly and prescribed an anitbiotic to be given for 10 days. I was also instructed to wash it out with clean running water (like from the sink or hose) twice a day.

I would make a quick trip to the vet. Light/discolored bill...not a sign of her getting better.

3. GooseyMcGee

GooseyMcGee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    Did they charge you a lot of money?

4. igotgoosed

Mar 25, 2012
    North Texas
    No, it ended up being $65, and that was for the visit, for them to pluck the feathers and clean out the wounds, and also for the antibiotics. They were actually excited to have a goose come in. They don't get many geese lol. They do farm and exotics, but nobody really brings in geese to the office.

5. igotgoosed

Mar 25, 2012
    North Texas
    How is she doing?

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    If you can get her into a vet who is familiar with waterfowl, that would be good. She could probably use some antibiotics and pain meds. My vet always prescribes metacam for any injured duck or goose. She said chickens are pretty tough, but ducks and geese are very sensitive to pain. Hope she gets better soon.

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    She may do well on baytril also.

Setting birds will lose the color in their legs and bills. Has she been trying to set?

8. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Baytril is a high-powered antibiotic that is not for use in poultry. One should not ask a vet for this drug, and one should not use it in geese, ducks, or chickens.

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    My veterinarian has prescribed baytril for my birds many times. It is also widely recommended by poultry experts such as Peter Brown, "The Chicken Dr.", and available on many poultry supply websites.

Are you a veterinarian?

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My vet is an avian expert and has chickens and waterfowl herself. She regularly prescribes Baytril for our chickens, ducks, and geese when it is needed. My birds have suffered no ill effects and it is very helpful in clearing up most infections..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by