1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my gosling a bully ?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BHep, May 2, 2011.

1. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I have 2 Sebastopol goslings, Tiki & Sparrow. I hatched then together. They are 2 weeks old. Sparrow constantly nibbling on Tiki's back, he is going bald !

Anyone every have this issue...... what should I do?

Here is a picture fro the other day, but it is getting worse. No blood or anything YET! I would like to avoid that.
    Sparrow is on the left, Tiki on the right. I know they are wet, they were playing with my DD in a puddle after the rain. But you can see the missing down.

[​IMG]

2. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Offer them toys and something to do.
    The nibbler is most likely just bored and in need of mental stimulation!

Toys intended for large parrots seem to do the trick for my gosling. As well as taking her for walks outside as often as I can.
    Balbinka loves to play! Parrot toys are made to be safe and non toxic all over, I find that they are the best option.

Add:
    Are you sure those are male?
    Or are they gray saddlebacks?

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 babies and 1 of them is a feather chewer. Juno has chewed everyones back feathers like that, more so on Leap, but I can see the new pin feathers comeing thru. They will be going outside to live in the next few day so hopefully he will stop.

4. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Quote:I am not sure if they are males or saddlebacks. They could be since the seller did have grey saddlebacks. I just call them he , I tend to hatch out lots of roosters. [​IMG] I see feathers coming in on Tiki's shoulders, they look white.

Also.... these babies are around and about most of the day. Either following me around the farm or in a huge playpen that I slapped together ( 10x10) They still sleep inside.
    The picking goes on all day. I will try some toys, they nibble EVERYTHING. ! I am teaching them not to nibble toes and shoes, they are so smart. I have never had or hatched geese and I am enjoying ever minute with them. I suspect they are overly spoiled already. [​IMG]

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. [​IMG]

5. Balbinka

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    If they have no pigment on their beaks or feet, then I think you might have some white females.

6. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    [​IMG] That would be nice..... will there be other things to look for ? Like with my ducks, you know who the girls are by the loud quacking.

7. DeerFarmer

DeerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Harrisville,Pa
    My Sabastopol are out of Saddlebacks one has lots of Gray coming in now the other only a feather or Two on it's back
    All of mine have all white feet and beaks Even my Adults
    If you look every other wing feather is Grey and his Tail Feathers have grey in them also it is hard to see in pictures against his down...But it's there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BHep

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Well I guess it a waiting game now... I can't wait to see what they look like feathered out, yet I don't want them to grow up. [​IMG]

9. Balbinka

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Whoa! Those are some awesome feathers! They totally looked white! Sweet!
    I vent sexed Balbinka as female. It's anybody's guess as to what color she is.

After researching, my money is on blue splash.

(notice how the underside of her neck is halved by yellow and blue)
    You can see the purple/blue splash pigmentation on her foot there too.
    Sebastopol experts, feel free to chime in a guess.

Her parents were pure white.

[​IMG]

10. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    i had this very same problem with mine make sure you have a red brooder lamp and a stuffed animal to keep them occupied until they get there feathers in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by