1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my hatch going to dry or too wet?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wolftracks, Mar 15, 2012.

1. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I've got 2 zips and a pip out of 49 eggs. My zippers are starting to shrink wra inside, but I'm not sure if I need to add water or get a pad out from moisture to bring it down.

I use ChooksChicks cheatsheet and it's help so much. I haven't used a hydrometer in a while and all of mine are not working at att right now.

Can anyone tell from these horrible pics, but only way I can get them is my phone, if they are sticky from humidity or wrapped from being too dry?

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If they are shrink wrapping, it sounds like they are too dry. Do you have a Petco or Petsmart close by? They have a little analog hygrometer for only a few dollars that is generally pretty accurate although I'd still recommend calibrating it before use. In lockdown, the window on my incubator usually fogs up making it hard to see in too well. Since yours isn't fogged up at all, that might be another indication that it is too dry. Good luck!

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto

Mine usually does too. I got 2 live chicks out of 49 eggs. Big ouch! I did candle a couple and I see veins, so I'm letting them cook a while longer. I had a weird temp spike at 104. I think it was just hot enough to cause evaporation. Humidity is up and temp is down. I haven'r even slept yet. I went out and did feed and water in the middle of the night. One chick is fine, the other was so stuck to it's shell I finally got it loose about midnight. Even had it wrapped in a paper towel. Not holding my breath on anything else hatching, but it sure would be nice. I have another hatch due the 21st, so I need this one done for sure.

4. ssellis

ssellis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    South Carolina
    first and second hatch failure putting in 3rd time, cant figure out what goes wrong, first time dry incubation, second wet.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I started doing dry last year and have had much better hatch rates. This time I just couldn't figure it out. Then I thought "duh! more heat is drying it out too much." I'll have to see how the next one goes. I have the Easter hatch to do and I want the best possible hatch I can get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by