Is my hen a Buckeye?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mar013q, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mar013q

mar013q Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Maryland
    This is Elaine. She was hatched in August (2011) from a mystery egg. I'm new to chickens and always thought she was a Rhode Island Red but then noticed she has a pea comb. She also has some black feathers. I think she is a Buckeye. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    She looks like a Buckeye to me.

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    The comb doesn't look like a peacomb to me.

4. chickenobsessed

chickenobsessed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2012
    im pretty sure she is a buckeye because i have a buckeye and that looks just like mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Quote: I agree that from the photos, one cannot discern whether it is a pea-comb so I am trusting that the OP knows what a peacomb looks like & knows the difference.

Quote: from the pictures, it could be a small single comb or a pea comb or something else -- would need to see it from above or straight-on.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Doesn't look like a pea comb to me either. Also doesn't look like a Buckeye. My guess would be a production bred Rhode Island red.

7. Matt1616

Matt1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    South Alabama
    It looks to have a obvious single comb to me. I'm with NYREDS on this one, looks like a standard production red.

8. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I would tend to say not Buckeye. The comb really looks like a single comb, but it's awfully small for being so red and for the hen being 7 months old. And the wattles are so tiny for a 7-month-old Production Red. The size of the red wattles and size of the red comb are more in line with a Buckeye. Granted it could be a maturity issue, but many 7-month-old hens have larger combs and wattles than those shown.

Where did you get this "mystery egg" that she hatched from? Any chance she's a cross between a Buckeye and a Production Red or a RI Red?

9. mar013q

mar013q Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I got the egg from a lady who has chickens has shows them in 4H. That's the only information I was given.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by