is my hen a rooster?

izzymaggie

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
i have two chickens named maggie and izzy. they are about 2 1/2 months and izzy is a week older tgan maggie. izzy has always been a little bigger, is it because of her breed (barred rock), being older, or is she a rooster? izzy sometimes makes sounds that sorta sound like the start of a crow, but when i do tests on her it seems like she is a hen.

That bird has a strange comb. I don't think he's a barred rock. And, I think it's a roo. At 10 weeks, shouldn't have that large or red of comb and wattles.

we arent sure what kind he/she is but we thought he/she might be a barred rock, or maybe a rock island.

I'm guessing a mixed breed cockeral. A pure barred male would have lighter overall coloring but a mixed roo will be darker. No matter the color, that's a huge comb for the age. That's all rooster.

Izzy might be a male Black Sex Links.
sad.png
They often look like Barred Rock pullets for a while. The first time I tried to get a Barred Rock, it turned out to be a Sex Links. I was prepared though, because they people at the feed store had the Barred Rock pullets and Male Black Sex Links mixed together. I don't know why they did that.
idunno.gif
It was crazy.

Last edited:
her and her chicken friend are not the same breed
maggie:
we dont know what breed she is
we also just did the tail fan test and izzy (the possible rooster) fanned out perfectlty, should i trust this test?

Maggie looks like a Gold-laced Wyandotte pullet.

I don't usually trust most of the "tests" they are often old-wives tales.

Where did you get your birds? Hatchery or a farm? Is there any chance the barred bird is a mix with wyandotte (which might help explain the pullet coloring on a cockerel and the comb)? I believe a Wyandotte Roster over a barred hen would make Black Sex Links.

Last edited:
my little sister's 5th grade class hatched them. they got them from our neighbor hood farm. they could be mix, we dont know, and i will look at that kind to see if maggie is that kind

Back
Top Bottom