Is my hen a rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BuffOrp82, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BuffOrp82

BuffOrp82 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2013
    So my chicks are almost 7 weeks old now and one of them. Has much larger comb and waddles then the others .. Wondering if she is really a he .. Any opinions?

[​IMG]

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

ususally thats your sign of a roo bigger comb...at that age

3. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Yes that comb is pretty big for 7 weeks, plus the wattles coming through. I would say you have a rooster.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can you get a pic without the red lamp? I'm not seeing anything screaming rooster. Usually production roosters, by 7 weeks, have a larger, very pink or red comb.

5. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Just as a side note. If you are feeding those chicks corn on the cob and other foods other than chick starter crumbles, make sure you are giving them access to small size grit to help them digest those other foods. If they don't have grit to ingest and they eat a lot of any other food other than chick starter they will get sick really fast.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Yes I would have to say you need to put up a larger photo so we can see what we are looking at and make a better decision ..........

7. BuffOrp82

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks for all the thoughts, I'll bring her/him out of the brooder today and get a better picture and I'll try to get one of her sisters too for reference.

I brought all of these from a local hatchery and they were all supposed to be females. This one (Peanut) was very slow to get her feathers and in fact still has some down on her back, but her comb is large and pink and all of the others are still pretty pale, and none of the others have waddles yet.

I didn't really want a rooster but I've grown quite attached to all my chickies so Peanut is staying no matter what I guess, I plan to free range my flock so perhaps if its a boy he'll help protect them while they are out of the coop.

Pictures to come, thanks everyone!

8. BuffOrp82

Dec 8, 2013
    Thanks, I do give my girls grit to help them digest. A lot of people say the starter has everything they need nutritionally but personally I think fruits and veggies are good for them. Plus its still super cold here in Ohio so they can't leave the brooder yet and getting a treat like spinach or corn or watermelon helps entertain them, and me, its hilarious to watch them eat, some one always ends up with a big piece of something and then runs around the brooder playing chicken keep away lol.

9. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    You will probably be happy with a roo if you free range, but yes, my guess would be boy. I have noticed that the hatchery (mass produced) birds show "boy" characteristics much faster than birds from breeders who are selective in thier lines. I have had experience with several breeds of both kinds. All of them make good pets! :)

10. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Chick watermelon frenzies are always fun to watch. You just have to have a towel handy to wipe watermelon juice off of yourself.. I swear chicks with watermelon is worse than little kids with popsicles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by