is my hen breaking the egss

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rockinrobinone, Jul 20, 2010.

1. rockinrobinone

rockinrobinone New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    not sure how many days until they hatch, I think 2 or 3 days. I went to give her fresh water two days ago and one of the eggs was cracked open and the chick was next to it dead. Today there are more egg shell cracked open but no sign of chicks dead or alive. (unless she is laying on them) Is she breaking them open or what is happening to them?

2. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    My hen is doing the same thing! Do you know how many eggs she has under her...or had? Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. rockinrobinone

rockinrobinone New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    it looks like maybe a dozen or so still, there has been 4 or 5 that have been broke. This is the first time I have had that happen so im not sure if its the hen or what is going on.

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Look under her after dark and see if any are under her.

5. neener92

neener92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Perhaps she has too many eggs. I took a few away from my hen and put under another that was broody and haven't had any trouble since.

6. rockinrobinone

rockinrobinone New Egg

Jul 20, 2010
    thnx! If I take some out is it too late to incubate them? I think they should hatch any day now.

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sorry I was away for 3 days. Did you put any in the bator?

8. slewis

slewis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    Kamas Utah
    Quote:my hen had 13 eggs under her to start with, i kept noticing the # decreasing, yesterday I wnet down to check on her, all the eggs were gone, well one was left cracked open and had the foulest smelling "Stuff" insdie... it was wreched! I don't know if the eggs were not fertile or what happened, but no sign of a chick.. "I have had about 6 hens set and everyone of them hav eaten some of the eggs... I am wondering if they can tell which ones are duds, and eat them anybody had experience with this? thanks

9. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I dont know, but Im fascinated because my broody hen did the same thing about 2 weeks ago. It was day 21 or so, and when we checked, there were 2 eggs that looked crushed like she had stepped on them, with the chicks fully formed and dead inside [​IMG] also there was one totally clean hatched egg- and NO chick to be seen anywhere. I have absolutely no idea what happened there [​IMG].
    So strange!! Anyway, we attributed our problems with her having too many eggs- she is a banty and was sitting on 14 eggs or so. This time (she is still broody) we only let her set on 7- and 2 of them have already been pulled for lack of development. Hope you have a better hatch next time (and us too!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by