Is my hen Broody? or is it something else?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazychickenlady81, Jan 13, 2018.

1. crazychickenlady81

crazychickenlady81 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2017
    Downingtown, PA
    I have 5 hens/pullets ( 2 easter eggers, 2 blue favaucanas, 1 lavender orpington) and one rooster (lavender orpington). They are all 5 1/2 months old. Just this week, I finally got my first egg! I don't know whose it is, but by process of elimination it has to be my lav orp (Rose) or one of my EEs (Ruth).

Ruth has refused to leave the coop since the day or so before the first egg (of two so far) appeared. However, I have never seen her sit on them. Both eggs were cold when I collected them. She built what looked like a nest in the coop ( not in the provided nesting boxes) but the eggs have been laid in the nesting boxes, not in the nest she built. Today, while the rest of the flock was out free ranging, she did come out of the coop after lots of baiting, and I picked her up and made her get outside for some fresh air. They've been so cooped up because of the cold and snowy weather in PA, so I felt it was important that they get out as much as possible in the warmer weather we've been having. She did spend the rest of the day outside, but refused to stick with the rest of the flock. She does seem to be a bit of a loner. The other girls don't really pick on her much, but I would guess she's at the bottom of the pecking order.

She didn't seem to have any noticeable health issues, but if she is broody would she be laying eggs? Is it possible that my lav orpington is laying the eggs and Ruth is broody?

And on a slightly different topic, I notice that my rooster only mounts two of my hens of the 5. He seems to choose the more mature looking hens. Is it fair to say that he is more attracted to more mature hens? (Another reason why I'm not sure it's Ruth who is laying.... )

Since I know everyone likes pictures... I've included our holiday card, that features our newbies... :) And no chickens were harmed during this process!! Just a lot of photo editing!

Attached Files:

featheredplanets likes this.
  2. featheredplanets

featheredplanets Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2017
    Yorkshire, England
    She won’t be laying if she is broody. If she’s broody she’ll build a nest and sit on it 23 out of 24 hours a day, so it seems. Broody hens sit like pancakes and will ‘scream’ and fluff up if you go near them. I think your pullet might just be taking her time to lay an egg and a small break after. Can you post pictures of her?

I’m not sure on the cockerel, sorry

3. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Love the holiday card! Chickens first lay eggs to collect a clutch and then sit on them but the other hen could be laying the eggs as well. Not sure if she is broody or not... If she seems healthy though there is probably no cause for concern.

crazychickenlady81 likes this.
  4. crazychickenlady81

Oct 26, 2017
    Downingtown, PA
    I don't have any current pictures of her, but here is one from about a month ago. I will snap some new ones of her tomorrow to post!

Attached Files:

5. crazychickenlady81

Oct 26, 2017
    Downingtown, PA
    Thanks for replying! So... if chickens lay to collect a clutch, do they let the eggs go cold in between laying enough? Or is it that she is just young and might not have it all figured out yet?

6. JaeG

JaeG Flock Master Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    She's a gorgeous little pullet. :love If she isn't laying yet she won't be broody, but she could be gearing up to start laying and playing about with the whole nesting idea as pullets can do. If she is further down the pecking order she may be chased out of the nest boxes by the other pullets so is finding a little nest for herself away from the hubbub. I have a girl who lays in the far back corner (that I can't reach easily) whenever there's a broody chicken taking over a nestbox because she just can't be bothered with the drama!

Chickens will lay as usual until their hormones tell them they have enough for a clutch, then they start sitting. No care is taken of the eggs until the hen/pullet decides to sit. Some hens never go broody, and some will lay 10 eggs then want to sit (rinse and repeat - I have an Orpington like this)!

A cockerel will be attracted to those ladies that like him - sometimes a hen/pullet refuses his advances no matter what. Cockerels/Roos can also have favourite hens.

Birds are cockerels and pullets until they are a year old, then they advance to being roosters and hens.

aart and crazychickenlady81 like this.
  7. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!! Premium Member

Love your card!!!! :love

8. crazychickenlady81

Oct 26, 2017
    Downingtown, PA
    thank you!

9. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 True BYC Addict

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    The pullet in the picture, is that the one you suspect laying? Or Broody?
    The one in the picture looks to be an EE, those that I've had lay greenish color eggs.
    A Broody wouldn't leave her nest, egg or no egg. Had 3 Wyandottes that took turns, break one the next started. Couldn't break them so rehomed to someone that wanted broodies. Now have one BO that thinks she wants to go broody (chest feathers plucked & sits in there the longest) so far she's not very serious & won't let her sit once she's laid. Thank goodnes I know the shape of her egg.

10. crazychickenlady81

Oct 26, 2017
    Downingtown, PA
    Yes, she is an EE, and she is the possible egg layer. The only reason I thought she might be the layer is because of her strange behavior. I've been told EE's can lay any color egg, including brown.... which is why I am unsure if its her (Ruth, pictured) or Rose . Rose, my lav orpington, is the only one I know for sure will lay a brown egg.

I have 2 blue favaucanas who are supposed to lay green eggs, and 2 EEs, and 1 lav orpington. I feel quite certain the egg layer is not my other EE, Blanche. She still seems too young and under developed to be laying. I was hoping my EE's lay a color other than brown, but I'd be happy with anything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by