1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maddyaugust, Apr 23, 2016.

1. maddyaugust

maddyaugust Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2015
    The night before last one my buff Orphingtons went into a nesting box instead of the roost for the night, the next morning she left for a short time but returned to box. I thought she might be eggbound and gave her a hot bath, eventually around 2 in the afternooon she lay an egg which I took from the box. She stayed in the box for the rest of the day and night. This morning I thought she might be sick so I decided to move her into a separate crate. When I took her out of the nesting box, she looked pretty healthy so I put her into the run - she ate and drank although she seemed a little more aggressive then usual with other chix. Less then half an hour later she's back in the nesting box.

I have no roosters !

recommendations please ;)

also she's 1 year old

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sounds very much like she is broody. Guess you have 3 choices - either get some fertile eggs for her to set, break her broodiness (search "broody buster") or let nature takes its course - she'll snap out of it eventually. Personally i prefer to break broodiness, but many members simply leave them to sort themselves out. But hatching chicks is a lot more fun [​IMG]

CT

3. maddyaugust

maddyaugust Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2015
    thanks CT, the more I read about broodiness, the more I think this is what's going on

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by