1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherub78, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    First, sorry to be such a pain lately and have so many questions.

Here is my problem (sorry its long, but if I leave something out it doesn't seem like I am explaining it correctly):

I had it all planned- 2 incubators warming up, been collecting eggs (chick & duck) plus ordered goose eggs (another entire story- see my other posts) to go in with the duck eggs.

I figured that, when/if they hatched, I would build a big box (maybe out of old wood pallets?) in the garage for a brooder until we get the addition on their coop in the spring (which isn't coming soon enough).

Now my problem is, my one hen (Buff Silkie) was sitting on eggs a long time yesterday, but then went up to roost and I swiped the eggs for my collection. Well today she has been in there almost all day on eggs and isn't moving for nuthin'.

If she is getting broody and tryin to hatch those eggs, where do I move her and the eggs to?

Should I take out the dividers between some of the adjoining boxes to make it bigger and screen it off- to keep the other chickens away and so the babies don't fall?

Or move her and the eggs to a big wood box in the garage also (good thing we have a big garage)? I have too many eggs collected for the bator to stick them all under her, especially if she gives up again.

The coop isn't big enough for a large box in there for her and the eggs/chicks. It is a 6x8 coop currently housing 17 bantams and 5 ducks, though they are outside most of the day.

Oh, and if I hatch some in the bator, I am taking a wild guess that I can't put them (the chicks- not the baby ducks and baby geese) in with her and her babies??? So, I would need at least 3 large wood boxes- in my garage??? And park hubbies '79 Firebird where???

Sorry- a little stressed. It is the equivalent of finding out you are pregnant, then being told you are expecting 5 after you made room and bought stuff for one. [​IMG]

Maybe I am worrying for nothing- she might give up.

Any ideas what I should do? All I wanted to do was to try hatching a few eggs- famous last words, huh??? Now look what you guys went and made me do...LOL. [​IMG]

Sharon

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    If she's truly broody she wouldn't get up to roost, she'd sleep on her eggs. Watch for another day or so to be sure.

I don't usually seperate my broodies from the rest of the flock. As long as she goes back to the same nest and the other hens don't tear her off the nest, she's fine to brood where she is. If it's high off the ground, I'd let her brood them and once they hatch, move the new family to ground-floor accomodations. She will protect them just fine from the other coop inhabitants.

Another option is to give her some fake eggs and incubate your eggs like you've planned, then give her some of the hatched babies.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

4. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Thank you both for your help. That is a really great web site! Lots of info.
    Fortunately (for me) she did get off the nest and I did snatch the eggs for the bator. Hope she doesn't scare me like that again- at least for a while.
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by