Is my Hen Broody?

Rostabunny

Chirping
Jul 13, 2022
North Carolina
One of my Buff Orpington hens has been laying for about 2 weeks now. She has been fine before. Today, she went to their favorite nesting box like normal, but now she have been in there for about 3 hours and squawks whenever there is another chicken around. Is she broody, or do I have to wait to see tonight if she stays in there? (I believe she is sitting on 2 eggs, one hers and one another buff's)

My test to see if a hen is truly broody is that she has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest. What she does during the day or how she acts doesn't matter to me, it has to be two consecutive nights. Not one, two.

Most of my hens seem to spend about a half hour or so on the nest when laying an egg. Most of them don't mind another hen hopping in the net with them to also lay an egg. I remember one specific hen that took about 3 hours every day to lay her egg and would not share that nest with anybody. They are all different. Patience to see what is going on can be very beneficial.

Do you know what you want to do if she is broody? Hatch eggs, raise chicks, or do you want to break her from being broody? If you need help let us know.

My test to see if a hen is truly broody is that she has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest. What she does during the day or how she acts doesn't matter to me, it has to be two consecutive nights. Not one, two.

Most of my hens seem to spend about a half hour or so on the nest when laying an egg. Most of them don't mind another hen hopping in the net with them to also lay an egg. I remember one specific hen that took about 3 hours every day to lay her egg and would not share that nest with anybody. They are all different. Patience to see what is going on can be very beneficial.

Do you know what you want to do if she is broody? Hatch eggs, raise chicks, or do you want to break her from being broody? If you need help let us know.
Turns out she was just taking a while, all good now!

Back
Top Bottom