Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theron, Jun 23, 2010.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Well, I have a 10 month old EE, Dawn, that I got from the county fair. Her sister, who is also an EE named Midnight, were raised through thick and thin. At one time during the winter, I thought I was going to lose both of them due to a sinus infection, but they both pulled through with some TLC. Anyway, Yesterday I let all of the chickens out in their run and all of the chickens came out except for Dawn. I lifted up the top of the chicken coop and see that Dawn is setting in the nest box. I try to put my hand underneath her and before I can she starts screeching up a storm and raises her back feathers. She never tried biting me possibly since she is pretty much a lap chicken and knows that I wouldn't harm her. During the afternoon, I noticed that she was off the nest so I went and looked and she had 8 wooden eggs in the nest with a green egg from my olive egger. The weird thing is that 5 of the eight wooden eggs were in the other chicken coop. Is it possible for her to move the eggs? In the evening I was putting everyone to bed and noticed Dawn was missing again. I looked in the nest box and there she was. So, not to disturb her, I put the other ten chickens and chicks in the other chicken coop and locked up every one for the night. Do you think she was off the nest due to the fact that it was almost 90 here yesterday? This morning, my dad accidently let both Dawn and the other chickens out and according to him, Dawn came out of the nest pretty quickly. When I woke up, my dad was just coming in from letting them out so she was not off the nest long. I go outside to check for myself and she was back on the nest screeching and puffing up her feathers and this time with 6 real and 8 wooden eggs underneath her. So, is my hen broody?

This is Dawn:[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like it. I'd give a couple more days to be sure. See if she comes out for treats, if not, then you definitely have a broody.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
  4. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    NO your chicken did not move the eggs from one coop to another lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by