Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Arizonachicken, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ok, Ill preface this by saying Im new to all of this. My 7 month old Buff Orpington was in her nesting box this morning and laid an egg. She didn't get up and hop down like she usually does. She was standing up "playing" with her egg. She was rolling it around a bit and very lightly pecking it at times. I went in and took her egg, I was afraid she was going to break it. She didn't peck me and let me pet her but she did stay in the nesting box and started making the most horrible racket you ever heard! I looked her over and she looks fine. She stayed in her box for about 5-10 minutes just clucking away. She's in the run now, still complaining, but not as bad. It's been about 15-20minutes since I took her egg. Is she going broody? I've never heard her cluck like that! Thanks for any advise!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope. When she's broody she will stay in the nest at night, quit laying, assume the pancake look and puff up and scream when disturbed. When she's really determined she will have a soft clucking sound too.

3. Arizonachicken

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thank you! I have no idea what was going on with her. She is eating a drinking just fine. Maybe it was just a delayed, prolonged egg song? I've not seen her mess with her egg like that either. I'll just keep an eye on her. Thanks again! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I just happen to have a broody at the moment, so I'll share what they look like:

[​IMG]

I dare ya to mess with her eggs! [​IMG] (kidding - she pecks, but not too hard)

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not my video, but you can hear the clucking in this one:

6. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I think mine might have gone broody! She had gotten sick the other day from the heat and was in the house for about 24 hours. Yesterday when I put her out she ran for a bit and then in the nest box, stayed there all night and is still there. She will not move for nothing and is trying to peck at my hand. I would give here some eggs but there are two problems.
    1) no rooster old enough to fertilize the eggs.
    2) it is way to hot for her to stay in the coop all the time.
    So she is just going to have some plastic eggs under her for the time.

7. Arizonachicken

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thanks for all the great info! She is not broody [​IMG] I'm happy about that because i only have two that are laying, and no rooster. I have 4 more pullets separated and I don't really want more, well, I want more, just don't have the space! If she was broody, I HAVE to get some fertile eggs [​IMG] Since I am about 37 weeks preggers my self, I don't need more babies to take care of! [​IMG] Thanks again!

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Well, I could solve problem #1 for you - I have LOTS of fertile eggs. [​IMG] Nothing's sweeter than a broody and her babies!
    [​IMG]

9. Arizonachicken

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Awwwww. That is sweet! Do you have to keep them separated, or do the the big hens leave them alone?

10. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I separated her because the coop she was in wasn't going to work for the babies. She had a heck of a time reintegrating. My current broody I'm leaving with the flock and seeing how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by