Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MadGamer, Aug 10, 2011.

1. MadGamer

MadGamer New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    Hey guys, the sunday just gone i got a new hen, my other two didn't like it lol, but they are getting used to her now. However my Bluebelle hen refuses to come off of the nest. I can lift her off without a fight, but she just goes back on to it, and shes making a funny noise as if she has hatched an egg and is protecting the young, but we havent got any hatching eggs so she wont be able to. I just need someone to confirm that this is broodiness and not something more serious. If it is broodiness Im going to purchase those plastic eggs you can buy at pets at home.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
  3. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yep sounds like she is broody

4. MadGamer

MadGamer New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    Thank for the clarification, oh well its looks like plastic egg time [​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    what is the point of the plastic egg? are you going to buy chicks for her?

6. MadGamer

MadGamer New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    We dont plan on hatching anymore chicks

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Then wouldn't it be better to break the broody than let her sit? I worry about my broodies---especially this time of year. They all look droopy and haggard--and nothing to show for it [​IMG]

8. MadGamer

MadGamer New Egg

Aug 10, 2011
    How can I break her of this habit?

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The best method is give her fertile eggs to hatch, or day old chicks. Probably the next best is a broody pen. It's on the last page of this article.:

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

I just take mine off the nest every time I'm in the coop, then nudge them into moving and eating and such, so they will get a little more to eat and some exercise, and wait for them to give up.

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Toss her out of the nest every time you see her in there. You can dunk her belly in cold water to speed it along, or put her in a wire-bottomed cage.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by