Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gracegirl16, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Gracegirl16

Gracegirl16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    My hen just started laying this past week. When I let them out of the coop, she stayed in one of the nesting boxes. I was able to get her off. Just a few minutes ago, I went out to check on her and she was back in the nesting box. She crackled at me when I tried to shoo her off. Has she turned broody? If so, what do I do about it? BTW, the aren't any eggs to incubate....

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    It sounds like she could be. I can't have a rooster so didn't have any fertile eggs to put under my broody hen last month. I advertised on Craigslist for some fertile eggs and was contacted by a couple of people willing to help. My hen is now the proud mama to seven happy little chicks - great experience all the way around.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She might be. Is she on the nest at night instead of roosting? Has she quit laying? If she hasn't done either of those, she's not broody..................yet.

4. Gracegirl16

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    She was on the roost last night. I haven't gott any eggs from her for a couple days. What can I do to prevent her from becoming broody?

5. Gracegirl16

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Haha...just got an egg from her...apparently she was having trouble laying her biggest egg yet. (still kind of small). Sorry about that everybody!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by