Is my hen broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pamduff, Oct 10, 2011.

1. pamduff

pamduff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    I have a buff orpington that I have only had for about 3 weeks. She is one of three hens we got from the same owner. We do not have a rooster so I know the eggs they are laying are not fertilized. My question is this...if she starts getting on the nest when it is roosting time, is this a sign she is getting broody? We are completely new at this and just wondering about her behavior. Thank you for any help you can give.
    Pam

2. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Welcome Duff! [​IMG]

If your hen is just roosting in the nest at night....I suspect that she is NOT brooding. However, if she is hanging out there during the day and every time you go to the coop she is sitting in the nest. Then you have a broody hen.

If she is roosting in the nest at night that isn't good....because that means she is probably also poo'ng in the nest...ewwww. Either move her or block her entrance to the nesting box at night.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sounds more like she's just mixed up about her sleeping place. Best thing to do is to wait till dark then pick her up and place her gently on the roost. You might have to do this for a few nights in a row, but she should get the hang of it quite quickly. If she's in the nesting box all day as well as at night, then I'd be thinking she's broody.

4. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    if she is broody i grab another chicken and put it in front of her in my experince it works if she broody she will make a noise if she not she probley wont do anything another thing i do is pet them they will make like a hormanal sound if she is broody i hope this helps

5. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Thank you for all your help! I will let ya'll know what happens.
    Pam

6. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    Just to update...we blocked off the nesting boxes at night. The first night she was so upset I almost relented LOL. She kept pecking at the piece we put in there. But eventually she went to roost on the same pole the other two girls choose. I can't help but favor her. We got all three hens from the same family (it was a child's project) but she was a replacement for a different chicken that was part of the original bunch and as such she is odd girl out. The other two hens either ignore her or peck at her. So I guess I love the underdog...or underchicken LOL
    Thank you guys for responding to my question.

7. pamduff

Oct 6, 2011
    I also meant to add that we never did discover why she was choosing to roost in the box. When we first put them in the coop they all roosted as usual but all of a sudden she chose to go the the box. Personally I thought she was smart LOL but I know that is not normal behavior (am learning there really is no such thing with chickens) so I was worried. But she seems to be fine now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by