Is my hen broody

austincoopersilkiesies

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Downingtown Pa
My silkie girl is just sitting in her nest box havent seen her out scince wendsday I have no I dea if she is sitting on eggs she has laid fertile eggs before but I dont know now she wont let us move her what should I do will she sit there for another 18 days im so un prepared for babies and it is freezing even in the insulated coop what should I do I know nothing about hatching help

Silkies are the broodiest chickens I have ever owned. I have on right now that is broody as well. I just take her out of the next box and get the eggs every day. I have tried other methods like separating her and not giving her a nest box, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Like i said i just take her off the nest (and she gets angry) I take the eggs every day and at night after dark I take her out and put her on the roost with the rest of the chickens. Of course every morning she finds fresh eggs to set on. On the plus side, if you want to hatch your own eggs some day, you wont need an incubator ;)

I checked under her today she has four eggs under her three silkieand a polish egg I'm gonna candle later any tips on how to do that what should I use,to candle with?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom