is my hen doing a good impersonation of a rooster? now with photo!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suburban, Dec 24, 2010.

1. suburban

suburban Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Perth, western Australia
    photo to follow

My 16 week old Australorp has a very red comb (compared to her sister who has practically none) and has just started doing a really distinct "cock-a-doodle-doo" in the morning. I am hoping she is just confused but I think I know she is a he. What else should I look out for? I don't know what saddle feathers are.

I'm heart broken because we are not allowed to keep a rooster where we live so will have to say goodbye to her. What will become of the sister? wont she get lonely?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    The comb and waddles would be larger on a roo than a hen. They would also be red much sooner. I asm sorry to say that 16 weeks is about on target to hear some crowing going on. I think you most likely have a rooster. But no one can say for sure without a picture.

3. suburban

suburban Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Perth, western Australia
    sorry if these are too big.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry, looks like a 16 week old boy there.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    it's a roosta

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Definitely a roo. My australorp pullet is about 24 weeks and is just barely turning red (no comb or wattles to speak of).

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    That is, without any doubt, a roo.

Just look for ads on craigslist, or here, selling chickens. Yes, chickens are social creatures and should never be kept alone unless absolutely necessary. Run out and get her two more sisters [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    More than an impersonation. [​IMG] With all of those secondary sex characteristics, a for sure cockerel.

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Just snapped a shot of my (hatchery) australorp to compare. She is 24 weeks and giving me an egg squat just this week . Pretty sure she's a she. [​IMG] So I think you have a he there. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Looks like a roo to me too. Saddle feathers are the feathers on the chicken's back near the tail. Hackle feathers are the neck feathers. The feathers in the first picture look pointy to me. Look at her back if you can pick it up and take a look at the sadlde feathers. If it's a male the feathers will be pointy and a hens will be more rounded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by