Is my hen eggbound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PaintedFeathers, Mar 18, 2013.

1. PaintedFeathers

PaintedFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Weare, New Hampshire
    so I have a silkie hen, she hasn't layed an egg in a few days, probably 3 or 4 now. I can feel it inside her, but it feels sideways? In pictures of chicken anatomy online it looks like the ovaduct is above the vent but the egg is below it and facing up and down. She "seems" to be straining, but I have never actually watched her try to lay an egg so I don't know what she normally does anyway. I have tried soaking her in warm water while massaging front to back and with a glove put some olive oil on my finger and massaged around inside. I could slightly feel the egg if I massaged it forward. Should I just wait and watch her or should I continue to try to help her along? Is it normal for the egg to be below the vent and sideways? The egg feels very hard and possibly larger than normal but it's hard to tell. She's my baby and I always fear losing her [​IMG] I almost did once so she's been a lucky one.

[​IMG]

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Is she standing oddly or lethargic?

3. PaintedFeathers

PaintedFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Weare, New Hampshire
    Not that I can tell, she was standing with her bum in the air and wings spread out for a little but not anymore, now she's just standing. and now that she's wet I can see her vent better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by