1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my hen going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Saris, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Newb here, I have a production red hen about 6 months old, has been laying for about 3 weeks now, and she keeps sitting on clutches of eggs for long periods of time. I usually end up getting a stick and pushing her off the nest so I can get my eggs for the day. She is on the nest for about 45 minutes before I push her off, once I collect the eggs she may sit for a bit longer but will usually go about her business as normal, I'm just wondering what would happen if I didn't shove her off the nest. Is it normal for some hens to just hang out on a nest after laying their egg? She always seems to have 5 or more eggs under her when I shove her off and makes dinosaur noises when I open the coop door. Is this a precursor to broodiness? She let's the other hens sit next to her and lay their eggs without a fuss.

2. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It seems like she indeed wants to hatch those eggs. Do you have a rooster? If you do and you let her sit on the eggs she will most likely hatch them.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have hens that don't like me reaching under them for eggs and will screech at me. They have never been broody. It sounds to me like she is just resting after laying.

The key to recognizing a broody is they will be on the nest at night. My broodies make this soft clucking sound while sitting. Their bellies can be plucked of feathers. (skin contact regulates humidity)

4. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane

I do have a rooster actually. I am just curious as to the likelyhood of her staying broody and whether I should try and move her or let her brood in her coop since winter is coming.

5. Saris

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    I will check on her over the next few day then, maybe leaving the largest eggs in there for her. I only reason I think it may be broodiness is she is super squished down in the nest when I check on her and stays like that until I push her off, the longest I let her stay was a little over an hour, then I wanted my eggs for breakfast, haha. most of the eggs are still small and wouldn't be good for hatching, so if she is trying I want to switch out the small eggs for some of my bigger ones from inside. I will try and get a picture of her sitting on them.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by