IS MY HEN IN SHOCK?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nat-S, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    One of my hens will not eat, drink, walk or "talk". All she does is stand and stare. I have moved her a couple of times and she just stays where I put her. I'm giving her water with Probiotic added using an eye dropper. She won't even eat any bread - one of her favorite treats. Has anyone ever seen this? I can't find any illnesses/diseases in my books that include these symptoms.

2. Xtineart

Xtineart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    has she become egg bound? have you checked her abdomen as she could be in a lot of pain poor love?

3. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    I did check, but I couldn't feel an egg?

4. Xtineart

May 3, 2014
    does she feel hot or really solid/firm in her belly, if the egg is broken further up or it's peritonitis there will be no egg but can be a lot of fluid and swelling. when did she last lay that you can be sure of?

Have you tried giving her a warmish bath and a gentle tummy massage? if she's really firm/hot to touch though dont as it would probably cause her more pain if she has peritonitis.

I lost a hen earlier in the year to it, she was subdued in her behaviour for days, not eating and not wanting to get involved in anything other than sleeping in my lap and then I noticed she was getting really swollen and her tail was pumping a bit. Unfortunately had to get her put down by the vet as she must have been in terrible pain.

5. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    I don't notice her belly being solid or firm. I'm not sure wnen she laid last. All of my girls are young. Some just started laying and a few haven't even started yet. No, I haven't tried a warm bath yet. I was afraid it would stress her out. However, I did have good results with giving a duck a warm bath when she had an egg hung up. But the duck couldn't walk or stand and I knew what her problem was.

6. Xtineart

May 3, 2014
    it's worked for me in the past and it seems to relax them a bit so you can give a proper massage and check their *ahem* whatsit for blockages. just do it like you'd have baby bath water, elbow temperature and not too deep, just up to their underbelly is enough. I usually have a wee bowl of chopped boiled eggs sat on the side for my girls so they know this is 'treat' time too. and then massage gently for half an hour or until it starts to get too cool. I've heard that a wee drop of water with epsom salts / andrews salts given to the chick can help if it's constipation, and use the time to check her gizzard area for any firmness and massage her breast incase she has eaten something bad or bocked herself up at that end and needs help there.

It's a real pity that hens cant talk to tell us when something is wrong and what it might be

I hope she gets better soon x

7. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    We did the warm bath and about 1/2 hour later I was excited to see that she was able to get an egg out! Unfortunately it has been 1 and 1/2 hours since she laid the egg and she is acting the same. I figured she might be weak and not feeling well, but I'm still worried because she won't eat or drink anything. I'm continuing to give her the Probiotic water with the eye dropper.

1 person likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Keep her warm and offer lots of fluids. Once you think she's properly hydrated you could give her 1/2 a tums or 1/2 a human calcium pill, that might make her feel a little better and will help her with her next egg.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    She passed an egg? Can you oil up a finger and see if there's another one? I do think it's possible that she could be in shock, she should come around within a day or two. But I would check for another one.

10. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    I've got her in the house and keep giving her the Probiotic water. But she still doesn't want anything to eat. [​IMG] I just might try the Tums. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by