Is my hen molting or sick ?

skippy1969

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 5, 2008
Australia
Hi all

It's just coming to the end of the molting season here in this part of QLD, Australia and my 6 hens which are about 12-18 mths old haven't been laying as regular as usual over the last couple of months but they are just starting to lay more regularly again over the last week. 5 out of the 6 hens had lower egg production but other than that, they were as normal and didn't loose feathers or have any other symptoms.

However, one hen out of the 6 has different symptoms - she didn't lay at all during that time and still hasn't come back on the lay yet. She also lost some off her feathers around her neck about a month ago which are just starting to slowly come back. I know this is normal.

What worries me is that I've noticed over the last week or so that she's not eating as much as the others and she is slow moving and sits around a lot and even has a little nap on and off during the day. She is still out with the other hens but while they are foraging she will just sit next to them. She does get up and have a scratch for food and she chases me when I have goodies like sun flower seeds. Her comb is normal, bright red and perky. She's not making any unusual noises so I don't think she's in any pain. I'm thinking maybe the moult has affected her more than the other hens.

The temperature has dropped a bit here too.

Can anyone tell me if these other symptoms are normal for molting hens or could it be something more serious ?

Thanks

D

I am not sure, since I am still a chicken newbie but I can bump this up and maybe someone with more knowledge can see it.

Good luck!

It sounds to me like you need to give her supportive therapy, at least. My girls haven't gone through an adult molt yet either but, she sounds off to me. I would separate her and give her water that has vitimins in it. Also give a probiotic-live active culture yogurt or I use Probios. A little ACV wouldn't hurt either.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to tell you more.

Just thought I wouuld give you an update.

Whatever it was, she's snapped out of it. I've been monitoring her the last week and she's back to her normal self again and she's also back to laying eggs again for the last couple of days.

I think it must he been related to the molt and maybe because the weather changed and it was extra cold here the last month but it's warming up again now.

Phew, she had me worried for a moment.
smile.png

Quote:
I forgot to mention - I did give her some garlic, mince meat, and probiotic-live active culture yogurt (not all at the same time) as well as extra TLC so I don't know if any of those helped. She wasn't interested in much other food or grain but she does like all the above and couldn't resist.

Back
Top Bottom