Is my hen prolapsing????? please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ardizzone7, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have an ISA Brown hen that is about a year old. She is a good layer and very active. Today she stood outside the back door for a very long time without moving much. I noticed she looked like she was trying to push something out her vent, but nothing is coming out. I caught her and looked at her vent. It looks enlarged, but not inflamed. She feels full and round but nothing feels solid like an egg. What should I do? she is not eventrying to get in the coop when I feed the other chickens. I do not want her to die so I want to try to stop what is happening as soon as possible.

2. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    She just managed to hop herself into the coop to roost for the night. Should I just wait until morning????????????? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    When was the last time she layed? Did you try a warm belly soak??

4. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I just checked on her this morning. She seems fine. Walking around with no problems. She has a dirty back side but her legs are back to normal not spread apart like yesterday. I found an egg in the coop with a very large calcium deposit on it. That must have caused it to be stuck. When I checked her vent yesterday, it must have been enough to shift it so it could come out. I am so glad! I was really afraid I was going to find a dead chicken this morning!

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    OUCH! [​IMG]

6. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Glad to hear your girl is alright!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by