Is my hen purebred or mixed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cavendish Chickens, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    The guy we got her from isn't the most trustworthy. He's been wrong about a few things. First, the chick we hatched was a male, and he said female. Then this hen (the one in question) he said was a white leghorn. Pictures posted on here led me to learn that she was a white rock. She lays around 6 large brown eggs per week, and he said she hatched around June 12th. I question if she's mixed or pure because she hasn't gone broody yet (not that we want her to yet... not until spring), and her tail kind of looks like the leghorn hens tail. (Our other hen IS a leghorn - light brown.) I tried to view pictures of the tails on rock hens, but couldn't really see them. These are our first chickens. So I have a LOT to learn. Here are some pictures of her. I was just wondering if anyone could really tell? Thanks all.

Here's Gloria (our girl in question)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    thats not a leghorn. a white leghorn would look exactly like that brown leghorn you have (floppy comb and all) only it would be all white and wouldnt lay brown eggs. But it sounds like a laying machine so who cares, right?

3. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I know she's not a leghorn... or at least for the most part. She is a white rock, but I thought maybe she was crossed with a leghorn. That is what I'm trying to determine. Reason being is I'd like to know she will go broody in the spring to hatch eggs. If she won't, I'll have to use an incubator. But I'd really like her to hatch them. And I know white rocks go broody. She hasn't as of yet, and her tail made me question the possibility of her being a mixed breed. And yes, she IS an egg laying machine. What a girl! About 3 dozen since the day after thanksgiving!

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    She looks like a White Rock to me, BUT there is no guarantee that she (or any hen for that matter) will automatically go broody in the spring. My Australorp is almost 2 1/2 years old and she just set for the first time in October. If she is crossed with a Leghorn then I see no evidence of it.

5. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay. Thanks "Year of the Rooster". I just wanted to be sure. She laid so many eggs, and no signs of broodines. I guess I'll just wait and see what the spring brings. [​IMG]

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Your welcome [​IMG] I hope I didn't discourage you too much. If she does go broody for you then I wish you (and her) the best of luck [​IMG]

7. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I was hoping for her to go broody in the spring so she could hatch the chicks herself. I figured it would be easier than incubating them and trying to transition the new hens from the clutch back in with the group. I figured if they hatched and raised them, there would be less aggression toward the new girls. The boys we'll sell... as meat birds or something, since they'll be mixed breeds (the roo is a speckled sussex). And we'll be hatching silkies too, and they'll go in their own area. So I'm trying to look forward to a pretty large clutch this spring. Thanks again.

8. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    I'm going to say she is a white rock.white leghorn lay white eggs,she has red earlobe so she must be laying brown eggs.

9. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    She looks like an amber sex link to me, I have one that looks just like her!!

10. Cavendish Chickens

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    What's an amber sexlink? I mean, I've heard of sexlink, but amber? The guy I got her from raises many breeds. He lets them free range, and he told me she was a white leghorn. Being a newbie, I believed him. When posting pics of her on here, everyone informed me she was a white rock. Then I started wondering about the possibility of her being a mixed breed due to having laid so many eggs and not gone broody, and her tail comes to a point like the leghorn we have. The whole reason for the question is because I want to know she is a broody breed. I wanted her to hatch eggs in the spring, but if she doesn't go broody, I'll have to incubate. I guess the whole thing is a wait and see situation. White rocks are a broody breed, so I'm hoping she will be some day. I just wish for it to be in the spring. lol But, she is still young. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by