Is my hen rejecting chicks?

Ladobaze

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Lexington, KY
How do I know if a hen is rejecting chicks?
I had a broody hen last year (my first time) and put store bought chicks under her. She was THE best mama (barred rock). This year I have an orpington who was broody and when I put chicks under her, she seemed to accept them but maybe not as good as a mama as my last hen. That hen wouldn’t let the other birds NEAR her chicks, this one doesn’t seem to care, however, she does sit and “watch” her chicks at the coop door and doesn’t leave them for long if at all. Also, she pecked pretty hard at a chick that was trying to get under her which concerned me. It didn’t seem like a “hey, get under there!” Sort of peck, so I’m a little concerned.
I’m just not sure what to look for.

How do I know if a hen is rejecting chicks?
I had a broody hen last year (my first time) and put store bought chicks under her. She was THE best mama (barred rock). This year I have an orpington who was broody and when I put chicks under her, she seemed to accept them but maybe not as good as a mama as my last hen. That hen wouldn’t let the other birds NEAR her chicks, this one doesn’t seem to care, however, she does sit and “watch” her chicks at the coop door and doesn’t leave them for long if at all. Also, she pecked pretty hard at a chick that was trying to get under her which concerned me. It didn’t seem like a “hey, get under there!” Sort of peck, so I’m a little concerned.
I’m just not sure what to look for.
look for here almost "shunning" the chicks and leaving the nest for extended periods of time. Good luck! you could also set up a seperate encloser for her

I've always wondered if chickens were racist. I started (in 2015) with four cuckoo marans (black) and five red sexlinks, all the 3-days old. They definitely separated by color and remained with their own kind even in together in my 15' x 35' run. They all got so confused when I put in a couple of Barred Rocks and a Delaware a year later.:celebrate

I separated the yellow chicks and then my newly racist bird started to pick on my white hens that she’s got along with just fine for the last year. So bazar.

I've always wondered if chickens were racist. I started (in 2015) with four cuckoo marans (black) and five red sexlinks, all the 3-days old. They definitely separated by color and remained with their own kind even in together in my 15' x 35' run. They all got so confused when I put in a couple of Barred Rocks and a Delaware a year later.:celebrate
I think they look at the ones that look like what they see on themselves and think “You’re gorgeous, like me!” Seems normal whether chicken or human! My chickens are ALL different breeds and colors and therefore none of them are bonded.

Back
Top Bottom