Is my hen sick? I'm a new chicken owner and I don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mfpif16, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mfpif16

mfpif16 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    new England
    My Coop
    Lately one of my two bantams has been acting really listless and doesn't seem to be walking around or eating much. I started out with three bantam Favorolle hens who are my first chickens ever, and one of them died a few weeks ago for no apparent reason. I think they are still molting- I've been finding wing feathers all over the place, but Phoebe's wing feathers are sort of flopping down on both sides. She's been spending a lot of time sleeping and isn't moving around like normal. She's been eating a little and drinking normally, but seems to have trouble keeping her balance when I put her down. For example, I put her down on my knee, and she fell off and flopped on the ground. she didn't even run away when my dog was sniffing at her. I feel like I'm probably over reacting, but I thought I should at least ask someone who knows something about chickens. Could she have frost-bite or be sick?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Also have you checked for worms? Mites? Lice?

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Occasionally one of my chickens would show these symptoms but would recover within a few days. Probably something to do with the wet weather at the time. Check for mites and lice (like in the post above), also make sure there's no poison around she could have tried to eat. It may or may not be a normal cold but it's good to be cautious!
    By the way here is a good link you should save:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/common-chicken-illnesses-and-treatments.html

It's a good one. And no you're not overreacting. [​IMG]

5. PharmGirl

PharmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    Is she swollen anywhere? I had a Buff orp. get what I believe "egg bound", was very sluggish one day not wanting to walk around and her back end was really swollen. I babied her, she laid an egg and came right out of it. While I was babying her I brought her in the garage gave her scrambled eggs and yogurt and just kept her calm until she wanted to move around on her own. She started walking around and talking so I let her out, she went to the coop, laid and had been good.

6. mfpif16

Aug 16, 2012
    new England
    My Coop
    she doesn't seem swollen, but I will check that out. Thanks for the feedback. We just got a blizzard today, so could it have to do with the snow or the cold?

7. mfpif16

Aug 16, 2012
    new England
    My Coop
    Phoebe died this morning. I'm really sad, and I don't know what to do. I think she might have frozen to death, but they were fine a few weeks ago when it got down to 5 degrees F outside! what happened?

8. PharmGirl

PharmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    I am so sorry . I know how you feel and will be thinking of you.

9. mfpif16

Aug 16, 2012
    new England
    My Coop
    thank you. I think that my other hen might have mites or fleas or something...*shakes head* my chickens have many health problems. anyway, how do you find out if they have lice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by