Is my hen sick?

LemonTheRooster

Chirping
Jul 28, 2018
Canada
Help! One of my ladies looks sick. We're not sure what it is. We think shes egg bound, except if she was, this would be her first time laying. She's never laid an egg. She goes up on the perch, but doesn't sit. I've also noticed sometimes shes in the coop and I'm watching her and she closes her eyes like shes falling asleep. It almost looks like shes having trouble staying awake. We checked her for pulsing and there was none. Whats going on??! Please, we need help!

Her only symptoms are that she is falling asleep/having trouble staying awake and wouldn't sit on the perch. Other than that, she looks normal. She has had this behavior for the past few days but no other symptoms. She might be overweight.. I'm not sure. She is the biggest of our ladies.
Has she had any injuires? Is she bullied by the others? If she is heavy she might have trouble getting up there. She could just be resting or trying to nap. My birds do this when they find a good spot but it doesn't last long just long enough for them to try to nap then they go about their day. I've thought of all the possible diagnostic questions I can think of. I'm so sorry I wasn't of more help. Maybe someone else will reply that has a different idea.

Help! One of my ladies looks sick. We're not sure what it is. We think shes egg bound, except if she was, this would be her first time laying. She's never laid an egg. She goes up on the perch, but doesn't sit. I've also noticed sometimes shes in the coop and I'm watching her and she closes her eyes like shes falling asleep. It almost looks like shes having trouble staying awake. We checked her for pulsing and there was none. Whats going on??! Please, we need help!
Post a pic of her. Also does she eat or drink? What does her poop look like? Has she recently been wormed or ever treated for cocci? How does her vent look? Is it leaking anything and if possible can you feel inside for an egg? Does it appear swollen? Does she have any other noticeable symptoms? Do you feed her oyster shells or later feed?

Post a pic of her. Also does she eat or drink? What does her poop look like? Has she recently been wormed or ever treated for cocci? How does her vent look? Is it leaking anything and if possible can you feel inside for an egg? Does it appear swollen? Does she have any other noticeable symptoms? Do you feed her oyster shells or later feed?
She does eat and drink. Her poop is normal. No, she hasn't been wormed or treated for cocci. Her vent looks normal. It's not leaking and I haven't checked for an egg and I'm not confident I can. Nope, not swollen. We feed her layer feed from our local store and we grind up egg shells and feed them back to her for calcium. Oyster shells too. Just so you know, shes around 6 months but shes pretty big.

She does eat and drink. Her poop is normal. No, she hasn't been wormed or treated for cocci. Her vent looks normal. It's not leaking and I haven't checked for an egg and I'm not confident I can. Nope, not swollen. We feed her layer feed from our local store and we grind up egg shells and feed them back to her for calcium. Oyster shells too. Just so you know, shes around 6 months but shes pretty big.
Is her crop empty in the morning? Vent checking can be quite scary but don't worry it's easy and I was able to do it my first time. Wear a glove and use something for lube. Baby oil, Vaseline,ky etc. Then insert your finger gentle in her vent and feel for an egg or obstruction. She doesn't sound egg bound to me. With my girls they would have vent leakage, hard time walking, swollen vent and back area that would pulse and be hard underneath. They also wouldn't eat and would stand off alone. Does she have this behavior everyday all day or just sometimes? Is she overweight or losing weight? If she behaves normally and has no other symptoms such as sneezing, trouble breathing, swollen eyes or anything else I would think she's okay.

Her only symptoms are that she is falling asleep/having trouble staying awake and wouldn't sit on the perch. Other than that, she looks normal. She has had this behavior for the past few days but no other symptoms. She might be overweight.. I'm not sure. She is the biggest of our ladies.

Back
Top Bottom