Is my hen sick?

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
I have a hen that was hatched in April. She is a Heinz. She was hatched with 3 other backyard birds and 10 bantam cochins. I've noticed that she's been distancing herself from the BC. Today I found her in the run napping (they are free ranged).
She has no discharges or obvious symptoms going on. Just being a loner and napping. Is this a normal age related thing? Her BC sisters are starting to lay.
I offered her some scratch and she did eat it. She just seems more lethargic than normal.
IMG_3034.jpeg

What should I look for?

I checked the poop board and seen nothing out of the ordinary. I’ll have to follow her around and see what he’s looks like alone.

I’ll check her crop in the morning. Thank you for the advice.
I just want to make sure there is no blood in her droppings, if so she probably has coccidiosis. I would treat her and the whole flock for cocci using Corid just in case, It won't hurt to do so.

Her crop was empty this morning. I was able to check her poop and it looks completely normal. She is still withdrawn from the group and is just roosting in the run while they free range but she looks perfect otherwise.
I did start the Corid, just in case.

Her crop was empty this morning. I was able to check her poop and it looks completely normal. She is still withdrawn from the group and is just roosting in the run while they free range but she looks perfect otherwise.
I did start the Corid, just in case.
Its good that her crop is emptying properly.
Do the Corid and we'll see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom