Is my hen sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RaintheRooster, Dec 16, 2013.

1. RaintheRooster

RaintheRooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    In my coop
    I don't have any pictures, but my hen, a bantam barred rock, is losing some feathers on her wings. The hens are all being abusive to her, they all scare her away from the feed. She only eats when the hens are outside, however she is terrified and is always on top of the nesting boxes. The hens are always staying inside now, though, so she doesn't eat much. At night, she sleeps in the nesting boxes and stays away from the hens. There is only one hen that is her friend, I guess. She is very low in the pecking order, but used to be in charge. We once had a hen like this but she was very fat from gorging herself on food when the hens were gone, and didn't lose many feathers. She became sort of aggressive to one of the hens and died the day after. Is anything wrong with her, or is she just molting at a bad time? Ask for specific details if you need them. She is one of my favorite hens.

Also, I have a flock of 6 hens now and 1 rooster.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    have you checked for mites? if you could try to slip her some extra treats to build her up maybe that would help ?

3. RaintheRooster

Oct 3, 2013
    In my coop
    I just realized, *Smacks face* that she DID have some white stuff in her feathers, but I assumed it could just be some dry skin. I'll try washing her tomorrow.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you put a pan of feed outside in the area farthest from the coop where she hangs? Low pecking order birds need to have a second feeding station, especially if they are younger pullets.

5. RaintheRooster

Oct 3, 2013
    In my coop
    She is the same age as all of the other hens, roughly 1 1/4 years old. I do sometimes grab a big handful of food for her, and give her a little box with chicken food and greens, if possible, in it. Problem is, my hens will find the food and eat it themselves. The coop is not so large and they don't go outside. She is getting better, slowly, however. Do you think I should feed her some vitamins?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is frustrating with low pecking order birds--they just never get their share, and the other girls with just shove them out of the way. Poultry vitamins are good, but a balanced feed is the best. I will toss out scrambled eggs as a treat for my girls, and I will sometimes pick up one who never gets any, and hand feed her first.

7. RaintheRooster

Oct 3, 2013
    In my coop
    I always give my hen a large portion of the feed from the kitchen. We feed them chicken crumble with some corn mixed into it for scratch, and give them little tidbits of food, however not so often egg, they lay very rarely now with the freezing weather already here. We give them leftover bread, yogurt, scraps of things like cucumber peel, etc. We never give them avocado or raw potatoes... Is this diet okay? All the other hens are fine with it and very happy.

8. RaintheRooster

Oct 3, 2013
    In my coop
    This has been very helpful. I will try giving my hen plenty of greens, as well as the usual feed, and wash her in warm water at home to get the possible mites off. I'm just worried... What water temperature would be good, I don't want to freeze or roast her in the water?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

I would use some permethrin or 5% sevin dust to get rid of mites. You will also have to clean out the bedding in the coop and nest boxes, as well as spray the coop with permethrin or another safe mite killer. I think I would feed more chickens feed as their diet, and feed the scraps as only 10% of their diet. Chickens feed is just the right balance for nutrition.

10. RaintheRooster

Oct 3, 2013
    In my coop
    Okay. The hens always have a constant supply of food, but they only eat for like 'breakfast, lunch, and before dark', with snacks in between. I won't inject her with anything but yes, I will clean the whole coop and everything. I will also check the other 5 hens and the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by