1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my hen starting to become broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jrfadfarm, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jrfadfarm

jrfadfarm Out Of The Brooder

This is my 4th week of having chickens for the first time ever. I have one, Lucy, that seems to just chill on the "popular" nest all morning. Yesterday, she got onto Kate while Kate was laying her pretty white egg. Stood in front of the nest until she got out, and sat there until later. is she broody? Why would they all like one nest, and would Lucy, seeming to be broody, make it where the others wont lay?

I have 4 buff orps, 1 buff minorca, 3 barred rock hens, and one barred rock rooster.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Take that egg and put into different nest.. If LUCY follows egg, then you know she is going broody. I usually avoid reading threads and posts about hens going broody. IN 90% OF THE RESPONSES, IT IS LIKE ''''''' ITS A BAD THING'''''''' I avoid being aggravated. ( in a mild sense) ... It is a part of chicken nature. Now to the 10% of peeps that think """ ITS A GOOD THING. """" [​IMG]
    Different breeds have varying amount of broodiness. Go to any hatchery site, and read the chickens' description, and it is plain as daylight. Some are broody, and some rarely. Go do your homework. ( I am not directing this at you jrfadfarm, just to the 90%)
    I don;t need to be informed why. I know brooding hens go on strike laying eggs. [​IMG]
    My percentages are only base on my observations.

3. jrfadfarm

if there are 4 other nests, but the other hens like that nest, could she be preventing them from laying or will they eventually lay?

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    It wont prevent them for sure. The only thing that stops them or should I say delays them is darkness. Then next morning out pops the egg. Think of it in these terms. When humans need to go #2, they usually can wait a little, but eventually they have to go. No way around it. The chickens have a favorite nest for a variety of reasons that we just cant ask them. =D=D=D

5. jrfadfarm

ok. i'll keep an eye on her. she's not hanging out in the nest ALL the time, just about every time i go in. This morning she wasnt in there and Kate was. WOO! white egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by