Is my hen still sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by britsbantams, Oct 22, 2013.

1. britsbantams

britsbantams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    College Station, TX
    I have a silkie named Molly who resides in a flock of 16. About 2 weeks ago I noticed her looking a little weak and sick, then I saw the worms in her poop.

After treating the whole flock for worms, I brought her inside for a little extra TLC. Gave her the save a chick electrolytes and probiotics, then let her stay inside for a couple days to regain her strength. She quickly became more alert and looked to be back to normal.

My concern for her now is when I let the chickens out in the morning. She seems normal at first but after 15 minutes or so, she leaves the flock and curls up behind a flower pot on my porch. She won't put herself up at dark with the rest of the flock anymore and just stays in that spot until I move her. I've started to bring her back in at night so I can watch her, and she is eating and drinking regularly. She just won't interact with the flock and sits on the porch all day now. Could she still be sick from the worms or maybe something else?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that something else is probably wrong with her. Check her for lice and mites, as they can cause lethargy. What wormer did you use? Not all wormers kill all worms, so she might still have some. Is she laying? Does her abdomen feel hard or squishy? If hard, she could be egg bound or an internal egg layer. If squishy, she could have Egg Yolk Peronitis or Ascites. Any respiratory symptoms?

3. britsbantams

britsbantams Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    College Station, TX
    She has not been laying at all since this started and there aren't any respiratory problems that I have noticed. She does seem pretty squishy though. I treated the flock with wazine, I got it at tsc. Also did a quick check for lice and mites, didn't see any. Of course I will google this in the mean time, but how would I know if she has egg yolk perontitis?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Wazine only kills roundworms. Its a fine wormer, as the most common worms in chickens are roundworms, but there are other worms that chickens can get. So, she may still have worms.

Some symptoms of Egg Yolk Peritonitis include lethargy, bloated abdomen, large, liquidy droppings, and swelling of the abdomen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by