Is my hen trying to be the rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Nov 21, 2010.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I posted on here recently about my Barred Rock that was 37 weeks and still had not begun to lay eggs. Someone mentioned that if you have all hens, the dominant one will not lay and take over as the flock's rooster. It makes alot of sense...she is definitely the dominant hen out of four and sometimes even mounts the others. And trust me, shes definitely a hen.....Shes the bird on my picture. If this is true about her trying to be a rooster, how in the world do I stop this? Will she ever lay? I was expecting very large eggs from her since shes absolutley huge... [​IMG]

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    Wow - I've never heard of that, but I don't have any experience with it since we have 100 roosters. Maybe you could get a rooster (a young one maybe 3-4 months old that isn't crowing yet), maybe from craigslist? Usually there are lots for sale for $5-$10. If it doesn't help after a month or two, you could just eat the rooster.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have a dominant hen. Crows badly occasionally, grew spurs this year too. But she never stopped laying. (except she'e 5+ yo now and rarely lays)
    My guess would be a 37 week old is not laying d/t lack of light, maybe a mini molt, or just really really late.
    I seen it posted that sometimes they will wait till spring to lay.
    A few years ago I had 2 start laying at 33/35 weeks the second weeek of December, so don't give up hope for eggs.

Good luck

Imp

4. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Lindsey Could you post a picture of her on here and one of her from the side...because from what I've been told..and I'm no expert that the ones with the barring like yours are male...i just got a rid of a 8 weeker whose barring was like yours and he was a boy.

5. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Shes a hen, trust me. heres a pic.

[​IMG]

6. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Do you have a side pic...I'm i'm not wrong yours is a male...maybe a late bloomer I'm not an expert. But Here is what I was told more white barring male...more black barring female. I've also been told barred rock girls will have a black wash down the front of their legs

[​IMG] My Boy

[​IMG] my Barred Girl

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  7. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    She's 37 weeks....its a girl lol. If it were a boy it would be a VERY late bloomer.
    Here's a side view. I'm hoping shes lays soon, I don't know if I can wait until spring! Shes driving me crazy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    yea could be...i have a silkie same age as your bird and it just turned into a roo

9. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Everything about that picture screams hen....

10. buckaroo's wife

buckaroo's wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    North Central Texas
    I just wonder if some hens just take longer, especially at this time of year. I have two barnvelders that are 32 weeks and no sign of eggs, despite red combs, etc. Has your egg production dropped with the others? Maybe a light in the coop might help her along?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by