Is my homemade bator temp good????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by theblackridge16, Jan 4, 2011.

1. theblackridge16

theblackridge16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    My homemade bator temp ranges from 98.4-100.9 i think that is good but am new at this and was just wanting to get someones advice that has hatched before. I have eggs coming in on thursday and i am a little nervous and just want to make sure my temp is right. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Most incubators, even expensive ones, will fluctuate a bit around that much. Your eggs should hatch regardless of the fluctuations.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Yea, your good, cause your averaging somewhere around 99.5ish so its OK, my mini fridge bator runs about 98-101 & hatch rates are very good, so go ahead & set your eggs & be prepared for the long Waite.

4. tuke

tuke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    NE CT
    Quote:I was going to post this same question. I curious as to what you are getting for humidity levels. I can't seem to get paste 25% RH thats with 2 large pans almost covering the bottom of my bator. Any help?

Thanks
    Ed

5. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:Ed,
    Are using a fan or still air?

Joe

6. tuke

tuke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    NE CT
    I have a fan

7. knjinnm

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Quote:You're sure losing a lot of moisture. Do you have too much ventilation or is the inside of your incubator unfinished wood?

Joe

8. tuke

tuke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    NE CT
    Quote:You're sure losing a lot of moisture. Do you have too much ventilation or is the inside of your incubator unfinished wood?

Joe

It's unfinished wood. Do you think thats the problem?

9. knjinnm

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM

Joe

It's unfinished wood. Do you think thats the problem?

Yes, the wood is most likely absorbing moisture. If you're testing, remove the water bans but keep the heat on to dry the wood then apply a water proof paint or sealer.

Joe

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by