Is my house safe???????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beaky Buzzard, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a chicken house from a friend. They gave us the chickens and the house. We had to kill all the birds do to a respitory disease. It has been over five months since we got the house . It has been bleached and hosed down . Is it safe for my birds to move into???????????????????

2. Beaky Buzzard

:DAnyone????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    sorry, don't know. What does the extension service say about the residual life expectancy of whatever disease they had? Would painting everything handle it or is it persistent even in the soil?

4. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

That seems a bit extreme. Respiratory disease is common with chickens and if they survive it, they generally don't get it again. There is a good possibility that some of them would have survived with antibiotics to stave off secondary infection.

I would just get some more chickens, maybe not such expensive ones. If they get sick, you will be able to figure out the survivability of the virus.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1

6. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Don't know if this will make you feel better but I bought my chicken house off of craigslist, when I got it home I washed it down good, let it air dry and when my girls were old enough put them in....I haven't had any problems with the coop and I started using it in June.

7. Beaky Buzzard

Thanks guys,
    The chickens we had to cull were past the help of medicine. i just dont my flock to get the same thing these birds had. the inside is just plain painted wood.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    After 5 months, a bleaching and a general cleaning the house should be good to go. Few respiratory illnesses live long periods of time in the soil. GI bacterium is a different story. If you are worried, move the house to a different location to allow for a new run space.

Enjoy the new flock. Good luck.

9. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:It is very common in chickens, but it will also pass on to any new member of the flock.

I have read you can put lime in the ground to get rid of anything in the soil. I have no idea how to use it or how long to keep animals off of the area though. Which is no help what so ever I understand, but maybe you could reseach the use of lime in the soil.

10. Beaky Buzzard

The coop is in a new location we Moved the the it 5 months ago from the the friends that gave us the sick birds. The sick birds werenever in the moved coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by