Is my incu ready??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jwatts, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Hello all, i am a complete newbie here, Anyway i have my 2 hovabator still air incu's setup. Without eggs,Im holding 100-101 deg. my humidity level is about 75%, there is water in my incubators. Is my hmidity level too high? Just trying to do a dry run before the eggs go in. Thank you

2. 1sttimechick

1sttimechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Yes, you should be around 40% humidity until day 19 then you up it to 70%

3. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    I am not very experienced with hatching... I just set my first hatch yesterday but I know that 75% humidity is way too high. It is my understanding that they will drown in the shells. If you have a hovabators then it should have two different water channels in the plastic bottom liner. You only fill the one channel for days 1-18 and then fill the secon and the first for the lockdown period days 19-21.

There is a lot of debate as to What is a good humidity. Mine are running around 45%. A lot of people like 40 to 50% and then there are others that like a "dry hatch" and keep it at 30% but everyone then cranks up the humidity for the lockdown.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Yes, for chicken eggs way to high. I incubate at 45-50 %. Good luck. :)

5. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    yep, i agree. i have a hovabator 1588 with fan. i fill the center channel for days 1-18 which gives me a 38-40% humidity. then for lockdown (which i just went into yesterday) i fill the center well AND the channel right next to the center and that bumps my humidity up to 66%. sometimes i notice though that when i first pour water in, the humidity might be a bit too high simply cuz sometimes water may splash around here and there. but that will quickly work itself out as the splashed water droplets (or whatever) dry up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by