Is my Jersey Giant okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by randomchicklady, Apr 3, 2009.

1. randomchicklady

randomchicklady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Hi all, thanks in advance for any advice!

I got chicks from MM's, they are now 2 weeks old. I have 3 BR, 2 BO, 3 Delaware, 3 EE and 1 Jersey Giant. From the start the Jersey Giant was *slightly* smaller than the rest. Now, she is about 1/3 - 1/2 the size of the rest. I did read that the grow slowly at first, but I'm not sure if she has grown at all! She is much more lethargic than the rest, they don't specifically pick on her, but she just kinda gets shoved around when the others get excited. I do see her eat and drink from time to time, but not as much as the rest, she is mostly just in the corner sleeping. They have electrolytes in their water and I occassionaly give them mash and/or yogurt. Oh, and today I noticed that there is a 'clicking' sound that she makes as she breathes - it is very faint though, I have to hold her up to my ear to hear it.

She has started to run from me when I go to pick her up, which actually made me happy, she is at least showing some life. I'm just worried about her though, and was wondering if there was something else I could be doing?

Thank you!

2. South Hill Chickens

South Hill Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    One of our new chicks was definitely smaller than the rest when she arrived. The others picked on her a bit and we were really worried that she wasn't growing. In order to figure out if there really was a problem, I bought a cheap postal scale and started weighing each bird every couple days. By getting their weight over time we were able to see that she was, in fact, growing at an equal rate to the other chicks. She just started out smaller and is therefore a little behind everyone else.

3. Jerseys are the Labrador of the chicken world. They are laid back and the DO grow slowly, yet surely. My hen and my Roo (black) are FINALLY doing the chicken dance and boy did it take a darn long time. It has been almost a year for the hen and from what I understand longer for the roo ( I traded for him). Both have still got a good way to go before they are filled out.

Let her be, just watch her. I can not WAIT to get babies.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 5 Jerseys and they are just starting to grow - 3 weeks old now- and are still smaller than the others which are 4 weeks. But I think it is cute when they stretch their necks and suddenly they are tall and thin! I will take some pictures to compare tomorrow.

I have three blues, one splash, I think one black. It looks a little blue to me, but I really want a black, so I can dream for a few more weeks until I am proven wrong!

5. randomchicklady

randomchicklady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Thanks everyone, you all made me feel much better that she is going to be just fine in the end!

Duckyboys, if you get a chance to post that pic, that would be great - I'm curious to see the size difference.

Here is a pic of mine, this is my first try at posting a pic - I hope it works!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by