Is my Khaki campbell a Khaki campbell?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickGirl6, Aug 26, 2010.

1. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    I ordered three Khaki campbell ducklings and they are now 16 weeks old and one dosn't look anything like the other two, they are all boys and I need to know if they are all khaki campbells? [​IMG]The blue and the black ducks are swedes.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The one on the right has Welsh Harlequin coloring. That's where the Welsh Harlequin breed came from...a color mutation of a khaki campbell. So he could be a Welsh Harlequin OR a mutant Khaki.

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    None of those ducks look like Khaki Campbells that I have seen. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but don't male Campbells have a dark brown head, not green?

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hummm...good point. I thought it was my monitor. My khaki drake had a brown head.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Mine didn't look like that either.[​IMG]

6. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    My khaki drakes had a dark green head?

7. ChickGirl6

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    This is what the odd ball looked like as a baby[​IMG]and this is what the other two looked liked[​IMG]

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:They look like anything else but Campbells (Sweds, mixes, Harlequins?)

Where did you get them from?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  9. ChickGirl6

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    The two blues and the black are swedes. Its the brown ones that are the ones I'm not sure of. [​IMG] This is what they looked liked as babies.[​IMG]The odd ball is on the far left in the baby pic.

10. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Okay, the two brown ones *are* Khaki Campbells, beyond a shadow of doubt. The Khaki color can vary quite a lot from one bird to the next. I have seen the drakes have heads that range from a light brown to a dark seal brown to a greenish bronze. Yours are well within the normal coloring range for KC. The other one in question is a Welsh Harlequin.

Editing to add- Is that the one that as a duckling looked like a Khaki Campbell, but had the much lighter bill? If so, that is so bizarre that it would feather out like that. I will have to really think about that. Getting Khaki in drakes or getting harlequin phase in a first generation cross is difficult because not a lot of common ducks carry either (and the brown dilution is sex linked). He looks like a WH, but if that is the same duckling, WH do not look at all as ducklings like he did. He probably is a sport from Campbell stock. He can't, in theory, be a Campbell X WH cross because the harlequin phase is recessive and shouldn't show until the second generation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by