Is my lil roo mean or is it normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jencleg, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    This morning when I was letting the 4 kids out, I noticed a whole bunch of Polly my BR, feathers all over the run, and then I watched my lil roo Marly proceed to attack my big ol Polly My other two girls just went about thier business and he just would NOT ease up on her. Finally he chased her back up in the coop & she kinda snuck back down while he was too busy scratching to notice. He was flying at her feet first and his neck feathers were standing straightout, grabbing beak fulls of feathers. He leaves the other two alone and she is actually the youngest of all the other three, but she is the only standard size. The others are bantams. Is he just picking on her cause she's bigger? or is he kinda sweet on her & just like a boy stinks at showing it? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know, I had that same situation. My little polish bantam rooster, PJ, would attack my young silkie pullet quite often. I didn't like it one bit. But, he never made her bald or any thing, so I left things alone. I'm honestly not sure, but I think it's sexual frustration on his part because she's too young and uninterested in mating yet, in fact, none of his females want to mate yet. None of them squat or show any interest.

Maybe with time things will mellow. It's getting better for my little bantam ladies.....And he will get smoother with age. I would say though, if he injures them or pecks them bald, I would probably either get rid of him, or put some little hen saddles on the girls to protect their backs.

Good luck,
    Sharon

3. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    I had a roo like that. After a week of that behavior, my poor hen was featherless on her back and it was bleeding severely. That roo found a new home!!

Needless to say I have been roo free for over a year and my hens are very happy. [​IMG]

4. Jencleg

Jencleg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Jasper
    He is a bantam cochin and he is only like 4-5 months old, so I didnt know if he was "mature" yet? And why only her? My silkie is the oldest at about 7 months and he just loves her, almost like a mom since she was a few months older than him when I brought him home at 3 days old. The other pullet is the exact same age as he, we bought them together, and he takes care of her like he would a sister. The one he's picking on is double his size, and about a month & 1/2 younger than he is so I dont think that she anywhere close to being mature either.....I dont want to lose him, but he was just being nasty this morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by