IS MY LITTLE CHICK GONNA MAKE IT?? BEAK OUTSIDE SHELL, PIPPED WITHOUT ZIPPING. MEMBRANE CHANGED COLO

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by tiffer76, Feb 28, 2013.

1. tiffer76

tiffer76 New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Bend, Oregon
    This is my first time using my still air incubator. I have meticulously followed the directions, kept the temp perfect at 99.5, turned the eggs 3 to 4 times a day. Today is day 22 finally seeing some action, my first to make progress has a beak that seems stuck outside the shell, and it hasnt progressed since this morning. Now the membrane which started out white is now a light pink or almost bloody underneath looking. The chick is cheeping away and seems very alive, but i wonder if there is something wrong. Is that normal to not progress, its been 6 hours and now the membrane looks suspicious like there is too much fluid inside? Everything i have read says to leave it alone, dont help unless its been 24 hrs. Also, i havent used a humidity tester, just kept the channels in the bottom full of water. Does anyone have any ideas, is this chick not going to make it, is it drowning, or too weak to hatch? The first image is right after the beak came out the second is of about 6 hrs later..note the color change...Thanks everyone for any ideas. I have 3 other eggs now that are pipped, but havent seen a chick yet.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What is your humidity? It can take up to 24 hours for the time it pips to hatch they absorb their yolk during that time.

3. tiffer76

tiffer76 New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Bend, Oregon
    i am not positive, i have kept the channels full of water as the directions said when i bought the incubator. I am definitely going to get a hydrometer next batch, wish i would have this time around. But i was just going off the directions that came with the still air incubator. Some one said the chick may have pipped the wrong end...I guess well wait and see.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They are going to hatch late because your temp should have been 101 on the top of eggs in a still air, make sure you dont open it and keep adding water through the vents

5. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    please update us! what happened with the hatch?

6. tiffer76

tiffer76 New Egg

Feb 28, 2013
    Bend, Oregon
    i ended up with 5 healthy chicks out of 9 eggs. The one related to this thread i ended up helping out of the shell after waiting almost 2 days, it was so crippled and couldnt walk, couldnt keep its little head up.We had to put it down. I ended up breaking open the last 3 eggs that never did anything and 2 were fully developed , but must have died right before hatching :( and one never did anything. It was a neat experience to say the least.

7. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    Aww, sorry to hear about the ones that died.[​IMG]At least you have 5 other little peeps to love on! Good luck raising the rest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by